Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mancabbage

DeadAwake wrote:
mancabbage wrote:
not for the faint hearted:

http://alma.arte.tv/en/webdoc/

I would like to watch this, but for some reason the visual aspect is absent and all the text becomes superimposed over each other.

your flash up to date?
Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 pm
Captiv8

Just got back from seeing Hitchcock. Very very good, with powerhouse performances from Hopkins and Mirren. I actually thought Mirren was the better of the two, so perhaps we'll see some of that at the Academy. More than the story itself, which was compelling, I really appreciated the editing for this film. The cuts were really nice, and kept a sweet rhythm going between Hitchcock's psyche and the making of Psycho. Great stuff. One complaint that will mean nothing to most people: I thought the lighting was too high for many scenes, especially when they were outdoors. I don't normally think filters are merited in movies, but in this case I think that one could have been used to subdue the brighter colors and give the impression of a more old-timey picture. I could have been done subtly, most people wouldn't have noticed it, but I think it would have been huge subconsciously. But that's me and my quibbles. Great film.

Also saw previews for Stoker, which looks brilliant and disturbing. It will be interesting to see how well Park's film will work in the American setting. And I must say, the editing for the trailer was really nicely done.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm
Captiv8

Goddammit. Sinister was a disappointing slice of mediocrity. There was a lot of potential in it, but there was also a lot of bullshit that I'm getting tired of seeing in horror films. For one thing, Ethan Hawke never turns on the lights on the house despite hearing the normal bumps and shuffling of the horror genre. Really big guy? What person is like, "Wait wait wait, did you hear that ominous sound coming from the attic? Let's go up there in the dark to save a little power." Never gonna happen, especially in a house you've just moved into. There were also some really cheesy moments, like the shifting of a face on a laptop, and part of the explanation behind what was happening. Regarding the latter, it's like writers can't help themselves and need to explain away everything to appease the lowest common denominator. This is a film I think would have benefitted from less explanation and just pure randomness. Also, super garbage jump cut at the end fellas. Finally, while the soundtrack was actually the best part of the movie, it was used annoyingly in the film. Ethan Hawke is looking at these Super 8 films and then this creepy ambient music would come on. Why? At first I wasn't sure if it was part of the recording or inserted as accompaniment. Then I realized it was forcing the mood when it didn't need to be done. 5/10, tops.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 pm
Hinhale

Captiv8 wrote:
Just got back from seeing Hitchcock. Very very good, with powerhouse performances from Hopkins and Mirren. I actually thought Mirren was the better of the two, so perhaps we'll see some of that at the Academy. More than the story itself, which was compelling, I really appreciated the editing for this film. The cuts were really nice, and kept a sweet rhythm going between Hitchcock's psyche and the making of Psycho. Great stuff. One complaint that will mean nothing to most people: I thought the lighting was too high for many scenes, especially when they were outdoors. I don't normally think filters are merited in movies, but in this case I think that one could have been used to subdue the brighter colors and give the impression of a more old-timey picture. I could have been done subtly, most people wouldn't have noticed it, but I think it would have been huge subconsciously. But that's me and my quibbles. Great film.

Agreed on the performances, but not the story. It felt like a nice story with the Hollywood story-arc tacked on with a bad fit.
You know how it goes: Good times that turns to hardship - hardship overcome - back to good times and everybody learned a valuable life lesson.
This film takes that route with two parallel issues: The financial risk that Hitch takes and his marital problems with Alma. The story arc quite fits the first issue, but the main focus is the marital relationship and here it doesn't fit at all.
Hitch's habits are long running, so everything isn't all peachy in the beginning, even if the film tries to ignore that to fit the format. Then the severity of the problem is turned up even if nothing really happens to merit it. Follow that with a climax and a resolution that is not really a resolution if you think about it. It's just an outburst of emotions that changes nothing. Yet the tone of the film will have you believe that all is now well forevermore in the house of Hitchcock.

I didn't like it, 'cause it all felt insincere. Like they were trying to trick me with their movie magic. And I usually fall for that. Even if I'm aware of it. Not this time though.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

oh just greeeeat

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/megan-fox-joining-michael-bays-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

cant believe they are still going through with this mess
Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 pm
Limbs

21 Jump Street made me laugh a good amount. It was good.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 am
Captiv8

I thought Lawless was okay, but not great. More than anything I think there was a lack of solid pacing. I know people will say the slow parts were meant to juxtapose against the violent, intense parts, but that's shit. This movie plods along, made predictable immediately after we're introduced to Guy Pearce's character for the first time. Incidentally, the sadism of his character was nicely portrayed by Pearce, who really made you hate him, but it was also, as I said, a clear indication that he would be dealt with vengefully as the conclusion. Also, how much does the audience need to be reminded that Jack (Shia) was not different from his brothers, only to prove his worth at the very end? It was obvious from midway through that he would inevitably rise up at the needed time (only after being reckless, of course) to triumph over his own fears. The best part about this movie was Jessica Chastain.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:27 am
Captiv8

Hurlyburly was like Clerks if it had been written by Bret Easton Ellis and Sartre.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:28 pm
Flossin

Captiv8 wrote:
I thought Lawless was okay, but not great. More than anything I think there was a lack of solid pacing. I know people will say the slow parts were meant to juxtapose against the violent, intense parts, but that's shit. This movie plods along, made predictable immediately after we're introduced to Guy Pearce's character for the first time. Incidentally, the sadism of his character was nicely portrayed by Pearce, who really made you hate him, but it was also, as I said, a clear indication that he would be dealt with vengefully as the conclusion. Also, how much does the audience need to be reminded that Jack (Shia) was not different from his brothers, only to prove his worth at the very end? It was obvious from midway through that he would inevitably rise up at the needed time (only after being reckless, of course) to triumph over his own fears. The best part about this movie was Jessica Chastain.

"Okay, not great" is right. I had a confused friend (confused because he knows I like Boardwalk Empire, which he doesn't watch, so he just equals it to "that prohibition stuff") recommend this movie to me and I watched it and felt pretty much the same way. It became really formulaic about halfway through, but it started out pretty cool.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

please

everybody watch Zombie Lake streaming on netflix
Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
please

everybody watch Zombie Lake streaming on netflix

I'm assuming it's lovingly dubbed?
Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 am
mancabbage

Lincoln was awful. I fell asleep 3 times,
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am
Jesse Custer

Haha.. That is exactly what I expect of these melodramatic Oscar bait movies. Glad to see someone who I consider to have taste say this to put me off this nagging need I feel to watch it just to know what everyone's banging on about
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 pm
Captiv8

Watched a Quebecois film called 5150 Elm Street. Despite the rather uncreative title, I was really impressed with this. The premise is simple: university student falls off his bike, asks to use the phone in a house at the end of the street, and then becomes part of some psycho's sick reality. I thought this might be fairly by the numbers, but there were some interesting twists thrown in, a really fresh premise that I've yet to see a horror movie do. I mean, the genre is inundated in slashers their very slight variants, so this was a breath of fresh air. It was really interesting to see character development as well, which was fairly realistic, I thought, and also creepy in its own way. You'll never look at chess the same way again, either.

Also, does it bother anyone else when movies plaster the credits all over the screen during the intro? I prefer when you just get launched right into the plot, with no credits of any kind. Save that jazz for the end, after the experience is over.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

and freddy krueger wasnt in it?

pssshhh
Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 57, 58, 59  Next