Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

ROTTY

Captiv8 wrote:
ROTTY wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
I've been dying for some new horror, man. Those look pretty good!

I was kind of losing faith with the horror world. Besides James Wan it seemed like nobody was making an effort anymore. By going to fright fest my faith has been restored! Dont get me wrong, i saw alot of trash. But the horror world is starting to blossom once again with the above 3 gems.

I have heard The Conjuring is bananas, and really want to check it out soon. But ya, Wan is pretty much carrying the genre on his back, and even he can't get all the films right. Any word on Insidious 2? I thought the first one was kind of great until the last 15 minutes or so, when it descended into cheesy and obvious.

I know what you mean with the last 15min of Insidious. That is the only issue with all of his films, the endings lose there scare value. Same with The Conjuring. Although The conjuring is still a great watch.

Heard nothing of the sequel to insidious. Iím going to avoid trailers and just go see it but my hopes are not high.
Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am
Brynjar

I haven't heard people talk so much about a horror movie in a long time, The Conjuring is everywhere.
Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am
Hinhale

I don't like the whole "based on a true story" angle they are marketing it with. For me it actually takes away from my involvement in a horror movie. Naturally I don't believe in ghosts so I like to approach a haunting movie with the attitude that it takes place in an alternate universe where ghosts do exist. The "true story" bit actually makes it less real for me.

But that "clap game" trailer is one of the best scary trailers ever. I'm excited to go see it.
Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 am
Limbs

Hinhale wrote:
I don't like the whole "based on a true story" angle they are marketing it with. For me it actually takes away from my involvement in a horror movie. Naturally I don't believe in ghosts so I like to approach a haunting movie with the attitude that it takes place in an alternate universe where ghosts do exist. The "true story" bit actually makes it less real for me.

Yep. I was sitting next to some high school girls when I saw it in a packed theater. Made it more fun and scarier I think. I could feel them tense up when the scary parts came and I kinda got scared vicariously through them. If I watched it by myself at home I think I would have fell asleep.

The World's End was really good as expected. I'm gonna try to catch that new Woody Allen soon. Heard good things.
Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am
anomaly
Loserface

"Ragin' Cajun Redneck Gators" on Syfy. So awesomely bad. Sharknado WHO?!

Re-airs Sat at 6P central.

Do it
Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I thought The Lifeguard with Kristen Bell was really dope.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:16 am
Captiv8

So I checked out V/H/S, based on the brief discussions of it here, and the trailer for the sequel. I actually thought it was, first and foremost, an amazing way to make a quality low-budget horror movie. I know the POV/found footage angle has been pursued before, but I thought it was used to excellent effect here. Some people hate the disorienting nature of the POV movie, but I think it can actually be done in a way that enhances the entire experience, especially when it comes to driving up the suspense. Each segment was good in its own way, and I even like that the part that seems to be the driving thrust of the movie was actually it's own bit. Honestly, this was a really great horror film that posits old themes in a way that makes them seem fresh. Really looking forward to the next one.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:09 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i like that brief review i think ill check it soon now
Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 pm
ROTTY

Captiv8 wrote:
So I checked out V/H/S, based on the brief discussions of it here, and the trailer for the sequel. I actually thought it was, first and foremost, an amazing way to make a quality low-budget horror movie. I know the POV/found footage angle has been pursued before, but I thought it was used to excellent effect here. Some people hate the disorienting nature of the POV movie, but I think it can actually be done in a way that enhances the entire experience, especially when it comes to driving up the suspense. Each segment was good in its own way, and I even like that the part that seems to be the driving thrust of the movie was actually it's own bit. Honestly, this was a really great horror film that posits old themes in a way that makes them seem fresh. Really looking forward to the next one.

Safe haven story was the one that made my jaw drop.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:35 am
Captiv8

ROTTY wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

Which one was that? I actually don't remember the title of each 'episode.'
Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 am
ROTTY

Captiv8 wrote:
ROTTY wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

Which one was that? I actually don't remember the title of each 'episode.'

It's the Indonesian one. So much fun!

Last edited by ROTTY on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 am
Limbs

I liked the one with the person sneaking into that couple's hotel room and dude thought his wife stole money out his wallet.

Also, guise... Oblivion was straight garbage.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 pm
tommi teardrop

Yeah I liked VHS too. Haven't seen the sequel yet. The Conjuring is about as good as a haunting movie is going to be. Better than Insidious.

I just watched Days of Heaven for the first time. I hesitate to call films beautiful, but Terrance Malick does it for me.
Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 am

I liked insidious a lot also. I hadn't been that creeped out from a movie in quite awhile. So naturally I'm hopeful about 2.
Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:56 am
Brynjar

Gravity is a really great looking film and well acted but goddamnit it's badly written, kinda shockingly so.
Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 58, 59, 60  Next