Search
Register
End-of-Year lists & the future of music
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

The only media I bought in a physical store this entire year was comics. And even then the bulk of my comic purchases I ordered online.

I don't like wasting the gas to go down to a physical store that may or may not have what I want--rather just have shit shipped to me from an online store, or given to me in digital form.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I am the same exact way. Just seems to be the way this world is turning until it all collapses on itself. I can't see how the post office is in such dire straights considering all the items people are having shipped these days. I know that there's competition like UPS and FedEx but still...
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:02 pm
iammessage

since i was old enough for my mom to let me ride my bike across town, one of my favorite things in life is spending 2 or 3 hours in a record store deciding what tape or cd to buy.

To this day at least 2 fridays a month ill go to Magnolia Thunderpussy, one of the few independent record shops left in columbus, and the only problem i have is deciding how much money i can afford to spend on music.

its sad that most kids wont get to and dont want to do that anymore.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:18 pm
Bicycle

Physical items are a novelty and digital distribution feels like a ripoff.

I buy alot of CDs. Usually on a whim. Whatever i can find for cheap in the used bin at bullmoose music

For 2011 shit that i like, i got shabazz palaces, panda bear and tom waits. Got the limited edition of the tom waits with the extra cd and the book for 10 dollars. I would have paid just as much for the digital album. Why would I do that?

People should make more music and sell less of it. an album a month. free digital downloads for whoever and a very limited supply of physical copies for the collectors. They'll be worth more on ebay in 10 years so its sorta like an investment
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

People should make more music and sell less of it, eh? OK, but...just don't expect a lot of quality material to result from that.

"Flood 'em with tunes, flood 'em with updates, oversaturate each and every digital channel with free music free music free music free music, CHECK OUT MY PAGE, gimme your email addy, NEW ALBUM NOW, even newer right now, FORGET YESTERDAY CUZ TODAY IS TODAY, oh shit tomorrow just came, NEW NEW NEW, FREE FREE FREE, ya ya ya ya yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....now buy it. Wait...no? Fuck it, wasting my 20's sure was fun, y'all!!!"

*end scene.*
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:32 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

These are the records I bought from an actual store that were released this year:

OBITS - “moody, standard and poor”
RADIOHEAD - “king of limbs”

Everything else was from the internets.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:52 pm
xGasPricesx

Bicycle wrote:

People should make more music and sell less of it. an album a month.

I actually hope for the exact opposite. I would way rather artists put out less material and charged a little more for it, as long as it was the best of the best. People are just throwing everything out there nowadays, and I'm really sick of sifting through all of the shit. I see this a lot with local bands too, some person will take a really shitty video on their cell phone of one of the bands songs, and then that band will put it all over their Facebook and what not. I'm so fucking tired so seeing so many shitty videos of bands I like, it's not doing them any favors cause they sound like crap on a cell phone mic, and it's not doing the fans any favors because there's nothing to listen to but static and feedback, and nothing to see but some shadow figures on a grainy screen.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:50 am
Bicycle

Sage Francis wrote:
People should make more music and sell less of it, eh? OK, but...just don't expect a lot of quality material to result from that.

"Flood 'em with tunes, flood 'em with updates, oversaturate each and every digital channel with free music free music free music free music, CHECK OUT MY PAGE, gimme your email addy, NEW ALBUM NOW, even newer right now, FORGET YESTERDAY CUZ TODAY IS TODAY, oh shit tomorrow just came, NEW NEW NEW, FREE FREE FREE, ya ya ya ya yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....now buy it. Wait...no? Fuck it, wasting my 20's sure was fun, y'all!!!"

*end scene.*

Isn't that where we're at right now? til it collapses in on itself

You can argue that music should be a belabored process just as well as you can argue that it should be a spontaneous thing. It should probably be both. The typical film score takes about two weeks to complete. Miles davis's kind of blue was recorded in two sessions. Why should someone spend months working on something that people are just gonna read the internet to?
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:54 am
Bicycle

xGasPricesx wrote:
Bicycle wrote:

People should make more music and sell less of it. an album a month.

I actually hope for the exact opposite. I would way rather artists put out less material and charged a little more for it, as long as it was the best of the best. People are just throwing everything out there nowadays, and I'm really sick of sifting through all of the shit. I see this a lot with local bands too, some person will take a really shitty video on their cell phone of one of the bands songs, and then that band will put it all over their Facebook and what not. I'm so fucking tired so seeing so many shitty videos of bands I like, it's not doing them any favors cause they sound like crap on a cell phone mic, and it's not doing the fans any favors because there's nothing to listen to but static and feedback, and nothing to see but some shadow figures on a grainy screen.

The local band gets together with a local someone who knows how to work a camera. They run their instruments through a mixer and record them onto a laptop. No more shitty cell phone videos. The band looks and sounds like professionals and the camera man gains exposure.

Im probably oversimplifying all of this. It seems like a super easy solution
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:19 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Wow. I actually don't know where to start or end. Wow. Haha just wow.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:31 am
Jesse

I would like to start with asking bicycle who are some of his favourite camera mans!

Preferably concentrating on those who have gained exposure through free off-the-floor band videos.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:02 am
xGasPricesx

Bicycle wrote:

Im probably oversimplifying all of this.

Yep.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:53 am
futuristxen

Free music jumped the shark in like 2008. Now it's just annoying.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:57 am
tommi teardrop

Well it's all free, whether the artist intends it to be or not. Unless your fan base does not have internet access, you are really left with hoping they just want to be nice and pay when they don't have to. Or you offer some package dea and hope it works.

It's hard. You have people coming up who downloaded their favorite records so they release free mix tapes that aren't even mix tapes some of the time.

Then you have the OF model of giving away 10 records for free before they ever charge for anything.

I don't know. There is so much quality music. I rarely even download anymore unless it's posted on datpiff and I can get it easily. I can usually find a YouTube or soundcloud of the song I wanna hear.

Should we talk about Louis ck?
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:09 pm
Limbs

Saying 'jumped the shark' has jumped the shark. Going to the record store and sifting is awesome. Same with comic book stores.

I'm a fan of convenience as much as the next guy but jeeze let's get outside more.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next