Search
Register
Got in to a car accident today hit a pedestrian in crosswalk
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Nemonic7

Got in to a car accident today hit a pedestrian in crosswalk  Reply with quote  

I got in to a car accident today. I was driving tonight and making a left turn and accidentally hit a woman crossing the cross walk. I didn't see her. The woman was hit by the left front side of my car and fell to the ground on the cross walk but thankfully she was able to standup on her own and walk over to a bench on the sidewalk. She complained of some pain in her leg but was able to walk with a little help to the ambulance. She looked like she was young, in her late 20's possibly early 30's. This is the first time this has happened to me. I rarely ever get in accidents. I've only had 2 accidents (car on car) since I started driving just over 10 years ago and those accidents were very minor. My question is, is anyone familiar with this? Besides going to court and paying the ticket which was for "Failure to yield right of way to pedestrian" and personal injury, am I looking at a lawsuit? And if so, how bad a lawsuit? By the way the victim did not ask me for any of my personal information although I suppose she can get it from the police that filed the report.

My mom is a worry wart. I tried to call my father to tell him about the incident but wouldn't you know my mom had my dad's phone, called me back hysterically worried without even knowing why I was calling and I had to tell her.

Any advice would be helpful.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:59 am
mzehe916

Well, my friend was hit by a car once. He walks with a limp. He got PAID. Then he got addicted to painkillers. Hopefully none of that happens to her. And don't stress, accidents happen. Have you checked up on her in the hospital? Maybe send some flowers or some shit. You know, to try to keep your costs down in the long run.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 am
empti

My homie got tagged once, in the bike line, someone was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot not looking and pulled little too far out bumping my homie's bike as he rode by. He was left with a few scrapes and bruises, a broken finger as well as a sprained wrist.
No criminal charges were filed to the best of my knowledge but he did "take the driver to court," the driver apparently never knew about it. It was done between his attorney and the driver's insurance company. He walked away with a few grand in settlement cash, plus his medical bills paid for and the driver more than likely simply saw an increase in his premium or got dropped by his insurance.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I do insurance investigation and deal with these all the time. Whether you are sued depends on the pedestrian obviously. Your policy most likely covers a substantial amount of bodily injury to others, so its unlikely you personally will lose money. Im not sure what state you r in or how much coverage u have. Should def check on that. Call ur provider or agent and ask what the story is.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 am
Scottie

Minor stuff insurance should take care of.

But what I would be concerned of is sky high insurance rates or being dropped all together. 3 accidents in 10 years for a driver under 30 is not an insurance companies dream client.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

You might want to try posting in the football thread, that's where all the "heavy" posters post now.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 am
Eric B

Your insurance company is your friend at this point, although they may drop you when it is all over. I'm pretty sure they will provide the lawyer if she does sue you, because they will be the ones paying the damages.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 am
Jesse

Re: Got in to a car accident today hit a pedestrian in cross  Reply with quote  

Few minor touch-ups, free of charge.

Nemonic7 wrote:
I hit someone with my car today. I was driving tonight and making a left turn and accidentally hit a woman crossing the cross walk. I didn't see her. I hit her with the left front side of my car and she fell to the ground on the cross walk but thankfully she was able to standup on her own and walk over to a bench on the sidewalk.

She complained of some pain in her leg but was able to walk with a little help to the ambulance. She looked like she was young, in her late 20's possibly early 30's.

This is the first time I have done this. I rarely ever have accidents. I've only had 2 accidents (car on car) since I started driving just over 10 years ago and those accidents were very minor.

Accidents do happen, and I'm not trying to paint you as a villain, but take responsibility. You fire a hundred guns every time you drive a car, don't reframe the time someone gets tagged as something that just happened, especially not something that just happened to YOU.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm
tommi teardrop

Once her injuries have resolved, your insurance company will have an opportunity to settle her claim for an amount up to your policy limits for bodily injury. Your limits are likely $15 to $100k depending on how good your insurance is. If your insurance company feels she is asking for too much, they may force her to file a lawsuit. In that case you will be served with a complaint and summons and your insurance company will hire an attorney to represent you. They will most likely settle during litigation for the policy limits or less. You may have to do a deposition and answer a set of written interrogatories. Easy stuff. If she wants more than your policy limits, she would have to go after your personal assets, but most law firms won't peruse that unless you are really rich. You can homestead a your house if you own one and it will be protected.

Also, if her case is worth the policy limits and your insurance doesn't pay, thus putting you at risk of bankruptcy, you will have a bad faith lawsuit against your own insurance for not protecting you per your policy language.

Nothing to worry about. Happens all the time. Your rates might go up and you might get dropped. You shouldnt have any problem getting a new policy.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 pm
Sarcastro

Jesse wrote:

Nemonic7 wrote:
I hit someone with my car today. I was driving tonight and making a left turn and accidentally hit a woman crossing the cross walk. I didn't see her. I hit her with the left front side of my car and she fell to the ground on the cross walk but thankfully she was able to standup on her own and walk over to a bench on the sidewalk.

She complained of some pain in her leg but was able to walk with a little help to the ambulance. She looked like she was young, in her late 20's possibly early 30's.

This is the first time I have done this. I rarely ever have accidents. I've only had 2 accidents (car on car) since I started driving just over 10 years ago and those accidents were very minor.

Accidents do happen, and I'm not trying to paint you as a villain, but take responsibility. You fire a hundred guns every time you drive a car, don't reframe the time someone gets tagged as something that just happened, especially not something that just happened to YOU.

are you ever not a douche??
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:07 pm
FuseONE

Nemonic7 wrote:
She looked like she was young, in her late 20's possibly early 30's. This is the first time this has happened to me.

Talk about a great way to meet someone. Did you get her number at least?

Admit it, nobody could ever top that "this is how we met" story.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Douchey or not, Jesse stated the sentiments I decided to keep to myself. Til now of course. Douche away.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:28 pm
Alias@anticon.com

Sarcastro wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Nemonic7 wrote:

are you ever not a douche??

seriously...
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 pm
Captiv8

I do not have direct experience with this sort of thing, but I do have a friend that was in your position. The story is essentially the same except he hit a woman riding her bike. From what I remember her back was a little messed up but she wasn't seriously injured. As Tommi points out, in all likelihood your insurance (contingent upon quality and coverage) will cover the damages incurred by the person you hit. However, it is not outside the realm of possibility that she can sue you for damages that the insurance may not cover. I would make damn sure that protect yourself as much as possible and communicate clearly with your insurance company. They may cover the damages, or the may not. Or they may not cover damages in their entirety, in which case you will be sued (successfully, I imagine) in a civil suit for physical and most likely emotional damages. I wouldn't go get a lawyer just yet, but it's something that you may have to do in the future. Again, stay in touch with your insurance company so you know exactly what they are doing. If at all possible, get it in writing that the insurance settlement amount (again, if any) covers ALL damages incurred by the women. Right or wrong, you want to protect yourself from being economically railroaded.

Oh, and in my friend's case the entire situation was resolved via insurance. This is, of course, reliant upon the insurance company and the victim. Good luck.

@ Jesse: You're like the hall monitor of the internet. While there was some equivocating going on, it was unworthy of comment. Especially since Nemonic used the words "I accidently hit a woman." Your post-gender normative aspirations are tedious at best.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I completely agree with Jesse's post. Word for word.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next