Search
Register
The trial of SSgt. Frank Wuterich and subsequent sentence
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

empti

The trial of SSgt. Frank Wuterich and subsequent sentence  Reply with quote  

Anyone else baffled at the outcome of this? I'm beyond confused as to how dude can admit to murdering 24 innocent men, women and children and walk away with a 3 month sentence(which has been commuted) and a pay cut while Bradley Manning sits facing possible life in prison for releasing documents which expose fucks like SSgt. Wuterich and those who wish to cover up such incidents.
Not to mention the other 8 men involved in the murders which he "led" were literally let off without consequence.

Apparently the Law Firm who defended Wuterich had their email hacked by you know who. 2 years of correspondence posted online for all to see. Conversations consisting of them sharing a laugh about the reports of Marines urinating on dead Afghans among other things.

This doesn't look good for them but, hey, they got a murderer off scott free.

Edit: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/25/us-marine-haditha-case-spared-jail
Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:47 pm
mzehe916

Yeah, this blows my mind as well. I don't know the details of the case, but I'm sure they gave the whole "war makes people crazy" defense. I understand the issues of ptsd, but this is above and beyond that. I really feel for Manning. He'll be staring at concrete walls for a loooong time. Even his defense is a bit wack. I understand the role of the lawyers, and nobody wants to serve time, even when they are guilty, but this is a bit out of hand. I'm bringing back the twinkie defense if i ever fuck up big time.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:00 am
Captiv8

Just another reason why war is awful. From the Guardian article it seemed like the Marines were acting vengefully and without cause. It blows my mind that the death of 24 civilians gets chalked up to "dereliction of duty." What? Two dozen dead isn't accidental. It doesn't even fit into the dehumanizing category of "collateral damage." That's systematic.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am
empti

Moneyshot for anyone following the suspected corrupt back channel dealings between the military, judge, and defense attorneys regarding this case.

http://pastebin.com/BBfB0Xbx

Mods, if you feel this link needs to come down then by all means, delete my post. :)

edit: apparently there are talks of suing someone, and the marines, for tarnishing this "poor boy's" record and "ruining 6 years of his life."
Allen West (R-FL) has been involved in this case the entire time, which I guess explains why his staff aided the defense at one point, but now there are emails that have him on record using his political influence to get the deal Sgt. Wuterich got, and then have him admitting that he "will let his staff handle things from here on out because I don't want it to seem as if I used any influence from my 'position'"
tsk tsk
Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:51 pm

Jump to: