Search
Register
*edit* I'm moving to Austin now. Any suggestions?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
*edit* I'm moving to Austin now. Any suggestions?  Reply with quote  

*EDIT*
Hey everybody. I know it's been a while since I've posted on the forum (beyond random videos) but I find myself needing some input or advise from people who may have some. My wife and I have been living in ABQ NM for over half a year and we've enjoyed it. Just last week my wife got a job offer in Austin TX that we couldn't refuse. It's now time for us to relocate and start all over again. I've heard great things regarding Austin's music scene and it's opportunities for musicians.

Does anyone have any advice regarding safe places in Austin for my wife and I to start searching for places to live? Any info or knowledge of Austin would be gratefully appreciated before we make the move in the next few months.
*EDIT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife’s been in graduate school for the last five years and last week she matched in Albuquerque NM for her pre doctoral internship. Her internship starts in July so we only have a few months to get everything in order before we ditch Michigan. We’re really excited for this change but also a little nervous because we’ve never been to New Mexico before and have no idea what to expect. Over the last week I’ve been researching anything and everything that I can about Albuquerque's jobs, cool areas to live and the music scene. It looks like it’ll be a decent place to live for a year or two but you can only find out so much about a place from online. Here’s where I could use some help…

Does anyone on the forum currently live in, or use to live in the Albuquerque area? Does anyone have any advice on the music scene out there or cool places to go to?
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm
corporateslave

I lived in Albuquerque about ten years ago and it was a blast. It probably hasn't changed that much since I left, so I assume that there are still a lot of sketchy neighborhoods, and I mean just pockets of them all over. I lived way on the east end which was ok but I rode my bike past the fairgrounds (watch your back around there) then to Nob Hill near UNM which is a nice area again. The only place I was told to completely stay away from was the part of town west of the Rio Grande.

As for cool things to do there is plenty to check out around the Nob Hill area. There was a Grateful Dead theme bar I used to go to a lot, maybe it's still there. Buncha hippie stuff, a small movie theater, cafes and whatnot. Downtown has some cool spots too, but I didn't go there much cause it was a long way from my house.

The only venues that had any shows I thought were worth seeing were the Sunshine Theater and the Launchpad, both downtown. The Kimo theater has some live stage productions too.

Definitely take some time to explore the surrounding area, there's all kinds of wilderness areas and parks all over the state. Right on the west end of the city are the petroglyphs where native americans carved pictures into volcanic rocks, and on the east end are the Sandia mountains with plenty of preserved wilderness areas to hike in. You can make it to the top and back in a full day, totally worth it.

Have fun down there, you're lucky! I wish I could move back out west.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm
xGasPricesx

Whatever you do, just stay out of this mans territory.

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:12 pm
Captiv8

I don't know anything about the area but I've always wanted to check it out. Good stuff. May I ask what grad program she's in? I looked into UNM myself.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Corporateslave - I appreciate it. We're going to start looking around the UNM area for places to live first then start branching out from there. Thankfully we'll have some people from within her program to give the heads up if we're looking in sketchy areas. I cant wait to take advantage of all the parks and outdoor stuff NM has to offer. It looks like a really beautiful area. I'm sure getting into the music scene will come with getting down there and diving into it.

Captiv8 - I forget the specific name of the internship track she was accepted to, but it's through UNM and the Southwest Consortium. My wife is getting her Ph.D in Clinical Psychology. Her main focus is in research with PTSD and how we can better prepare our service men and women and first responders (such as EMT's and fire fighters) for pre/post traumatic events they may experience.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 pm
Flawed Logic

I'd never fuck with Hal from Malcolm in the Middle. NEVER...
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:40 pm
Bob_ptmfus

I'd also steer clear of your mayor:

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The shows that I played at the Launchpad were some of the most insane shows ever. The crowd was so loud I literally had to cover my ears. That's only happened about two or three times in my life. Hungry, hungry scene in ABQ.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm
Flawed Logic

Sage Francis wrote:
Hungry, hungry scene in ABQ.

Perfect! That sounds great to me, well, besides the almost losing your hearing part. haha - I can't wait to get down there and get involved. I saw that Kristoff Krane went through there recently with Buck 65. It's exciting that people are traveling through there.

Bob_ptmfus - Awesome. I'll make sure to remember that. Albuquerque is also where Bugs Bunny forgot to take a left turn. Just saying...

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm
xGasPricesx

Nonono, this is Hal from Malcolm in the Middle

You don't want to fuck around in his territory either, or you'll have to answer to his army of bodybuilders.

That man in my original comment though, that was Heisenberg, the New Mexico meth kingpin. Fuck around with Heisenberg and he'll put you in a bucket full of acid.

Don't fuck with Heisenberg.

p.s. You should really check out the TV show Breaking Bad sometime. Here's a little taste of why.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm
Flawed Logic

Haha - No, I know the difference, but when I watch Breaking Bad all I can think about is Hal from Malcolm in the Middle. I do think Breaking Bad is good. Heisenberg is a bad ass. Are you familiar with the series Six Feet Under? It's kind of the same for me with Michael C Hall. Whenever I watch Dexter I can help but see David Fisher from Six feet Under.

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 pm
Jack

Breaking bad and six feet under is possibly the best direction of any thread.

Also if you are down with baseball check out the isotopes for cheap baseball fun. They are the AAA team for the marlins with some nice players
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 pm
xGasPricesx

Six Feet Under is next on my list, and I've been hearing more and more about it recently so I will definitely start soon. I'm very excited to watch a good show with Michael C. Hall in it again.

Also good luck with your move, I've never been to Albuquerque so can't really give you any tips there, but if you ever end up in Phoenix I got you covered.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm
phataccino

The second most lost I've ever been in a vehicle was in Albuquerque.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next