Search
Register
White whines
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Alan Hague

White whines  Reply with quote  

Apparently, this study was published in May of last year, but this is the first I've ever heard of it. In any case, though: Jesus fucking Christ.

http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/whites-believe-they-are-victims-racism-more-o

Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

In Zero Sum Game, "Reverse Racism" Seen as Bigger Problem than Anti-Black Racism
May 23, 2011

MEDFORD/SOMERVILLE, Mass. -- Whites believe that they have replaced blacks as the primary victims of racial discrimination in contemporary America, according to a new study from researchers at Tufts University's School of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Business School. The findings, say the authors, show that America has not achieved the "post-racial" society that some predicted in the wake of Barack Obama's election.

Both whites and blacks agree that anti-black racism has decreased over the last 60 years, according to the study. However, whites believe that anti-white racism has increased and is now a bigger problem than anti-black racism.

"It's a pretty surprising finding when you think of the wide range of disparities that still exist in society, most of which show black Americans with worse outcomes than whites in areas such as income, home ownership, health and employment," said Tufts Associate Professor of Psychology Samuel Sommers, Ph.D., co-author of "Whites See Racism as a Zero-sum Game that They Are Now Losing," which appears in the May 2011 issue of the journal Perspectives on Psychological Science.

Sommers and co-author Michael I. Norton of Harvard asked a nation-wide sample of 208 blacks and 209 whites to indicate the extent to which they felt blacks and whites were the targets of discrimination in each decade from the 1950s to the 2000s. A scale of 1 to 10 was used, with 1 being "not at all" and 10 being "very much."

White and black estimates of bias in the 1950s were similar. Both groups acknowledged little racism against whites at that time but substantial racism against blacks. Respondents also generally agreed that racism against blacks has decreased over time, although whites believed it has declined faster than blacks do.

However, whites believed that racism against whites has increased significantly as racism against blacks has decreased. On average, whites rated anti-white bias as more prevalent in the 2000s than anti-black bias by more than a full point on the 10-point scale. Moreover, some 11 percent of whites gave anti-white bias the maximum rating of 10 compared to only 2 percent of whites who rated anti-black bias a 10. Blacks, however, reported only a modest increase in their perceptions of "reverse racism."

"These data are the first to demonstrate that not only do whites think more progress has been made toward equality than do blacks, but whites also now believe that this progress is linked to a new inequality at their expense," note Norton and Sommers. Whites see racial equality as a zero sum game, in which gains for one group mean losses for the other.

The belief that anti-white bias is more prevalent than anti-black bias has clear implications for future public policy debates and behavioral science research, say the authors. They note that claims of so-called reverse racism, while not new, have been at the core of an increasing number of high-profile Supreme Court cases.

Tufts University, located on three Massachusetts campuses in Boston, Medford/Somerville, and Grafton, and in Talloires, France, is recognized among the premier research universities in the United States. Tufts enjoys a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions. A growing number of innovative teaching and research initiatives span all Tufts campuses, and collaboration among the faculty and students in the undergraduate, graduate and professional programs across the university's schools is widely encouraged.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:17 pm
redball

The irony being that the last four years have seen a distinct rise in vocal racism against black people.

Also, sorry if this threadjacks, but I can't help but think we're on the cusp of similar results with sexism. MRA arguments are creeping into mainstream.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 pm
Reggie

Re: White whines  Reply with quote  

Alan Hague wrote:
Apparently, this study was published in May of last year, but this is the first I've ever heard of it. In any case, though: Jesus fucking Christ.

http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/whites-believe-they-are-victims-racism-more-o

Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

In Zero Sum Game, "Reverse Racism" Seen as Bigger Problem than Anti-Black Racism
May 23, 2011

MEDFORD/SOMERVILLE, Mass.

oh well say no more
Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 am
anomaly
Loserface

The other day I was at a gas station trying to purchase a corndog. As I patiently waited in line for the African fellow working there to get to my turn, another African fellow came in and somehow that fellow made his purchase and left the store before I had corndog in hand.

I wasn't upset and that corndog was worth the wait. We all just need to eat corndogs together and skip the dumbshit. Life is too short.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:46 pm
pedavis

anomaly wrote:
The other day I was at a gas station trying to purchase a corndog. As I patiently waited in line for the African fellow working there to get to my turn, another African fellow came in and somehow that fellow made his purchase and left the store before I had corndog in hand.

I wasn't upset and that corndog was worth the wait. We all just need to eat corndogs together and skip the dumbshit. Life is too short.

man, seriously. i dont know if this research is true or false or what the fuck ever. but i really wish people would just move the fuck on. skip the dumbshit. more corndogs. even for vegetarians. everyone hand in hand eating corndogs.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

fuck you, cracka...
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:29 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

i think you guys may have inadvertently explained why white people smell like corndogs.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i used to have corndogs for dinner too much as child, corndogs with freezer burn, now i hate corndogs
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:40 am
Captiv8

I think this mentality is manifested more noticeably in statements about the outsourcing of jobs to "them foreigners that can't speak American" and affirmative action. The former is probably a bit more pressing than the latter. At any rate, I've heard some of my coworkers state thst outsourcing is "what's wrong with America." This ties into other Caucasian fears about illegal immigration as well. Really, it's become a basic xenophobia embedded in what it means to be an American. I beleive the problem is more pervasive among the blue-collar demographic since the issue is more pressing to them in terms of employment, neighborhoods, and cultural influx. White collar workers have the means to engage in white flight, blue collar workers typically do not. Thus race because a looming threat.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:46 am
johncos

Interesting, but I feel that an N of 417 is much too small for a nationally representative sample. And I think it would be helpful to look at the influence of things like geography (urban/suburban/rural and region of the country), socioeconomic status, and age. I would find these results far less surprising for an older Tea Partier from middle America, compared to a 25-year-old Google employee from San Francisco. This study doesn't really say much.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 am
ROTTY

I have never had a corndog! What is this whiteman delicacy?
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:30 am
JohnSchwan

johncos wrote:
Interesting, but I feel that an N of 417 is much too small for a nationally representative sample. And I think it would be helpful to look at the influence of things like geography (urban/suburban/rural and region of the country), socioeconomic status, and age. I would find these results far less surprising for an older Tea Partier from middle America, compared to a 25-year-old Google employee from San Francisco. This study doesn't really say much.

This.

We had to have an N of 800 to have a valid picture of television viewing habits, and other random demographic and consumer behavior questions. This was for a TV market of only roughly 500,000 people.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:24 am
AdamBomb

The whole thing is pretty annoying. Honestly, I think the "discrimination" perception by those polled here represents frustration in hiring/promotion/college acceptance and not living in a reverse jim crow era. I don't think any white people have been forbidden to swim in a pool, eat in a restaurant, or use a bathroom. There is a long history of horrible things that have happened to black americans that a white person has never had to experience which obviously carry more emotion with the term "racism".

Affirmative action was supposed to be an initiative to require people not to discriminate in hiring practices and company policies and not a required quota system. But the problem is that how do weigh a company's adherence to affirmative action other than by hiring/promoting numbers? Is it assumed that the policies hold weight if the company's statistic demographics show it? What is the measuring stick? Quotas are supposed to be illegal, but are there implied quotas? I think common sense tells you that this does go on. Can you be an "equal opportunity employer" if you don't actually have any minorities represented in your workplace? If a company is sued for discrimination, Im sure the first thing they do is look at the companies makeup for hiring and promotions. As long is there is a system like this (or perception that there is one), then there are going to be some problems. All that said...while there are more white males unemployed than any other group (total), the percentage of unemployed people within a group is highest in black males. There are probably countless other factors that could affect these numbers, such as opportunities based on class status/education level/proximity that have their own statistics by race.
Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t02.htm

To me it seems just as prejudiced to group hiring managers as racists that need action to correct their flawed minds. Pretty much any grouping anybody is the same type of thing. But, what about a million other factors you get sized up for when you in the workplace (class, weight, age, accent, having-a-moustache, lisps, poor taste in clothes)? Pretty much every job Ive ever had, the first thing you get asked is "where are you from" and "what school did you go to" (these are things you couldn't be sized up on visually). A lot of women are asked if they have kids when being interviewed, which carries thoughts of "possibly maternity leave" and "daycare and sick days for kids". Its not right, but it exists. I know if I am in Maine and say "y'all", its gonna take months for me to convince them I'm not stupid. So, the thing thats hard to prove is that if people's preconceived notions/generalizations are too strong that they cannot accept when people demonstrate otherwise (or get the chance to). To me, its foolish to put individuals in a box as (from life experience) no one fits conveniently in one.

I really wish that every application/survey just had a checkbox for "human" next to race.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:09 pm
Prontoid

ROTTY wrote:
Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:05 am
Captiv8

Prontoid wrote:
ROTTY wrote:

It is a hotdog -- a poor man's frankfurter -- lovingly nestled into a sleeve of cornbread or regular breading. The whole beautiful combination is baked or microwaved to perfection. Ketchup or cheese dip optional.
Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next