Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Stand-Up
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Author Message
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.


Joined: 09 Jan 2003
Posts: 1281
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Stand-Up  Reply with quote  

I wanted to share this, but didn't think it should get it's own thread.

Louis CK is selling an audio recording of a particular Tig Notaro performance that may interest some.

What other comedians are people digging these days?

Here's Louie's summary of the special:

Greetings to the people and parts of people that are reading this. Hi. This is Louis. I'm a comedian and you bought a thing from me. Well, I'm writing to tell You that there is a new thing you can buy on my website louisck.com. It's an audio standup set by not me but another comedian named Tig Notaro. Why am I selling someone else's comedy on my website?

Well, Tig is a friend of mine and she is very funny. I love her voice on stage. One night I was performing at a club in LA called Largo. Tig was there. She was about to go on stage. I hadn't seen Tig in about a year and I said how are you? She replied "well I found out today that I have cancer in both breasts and that it has likely spread to my lymph nodes. My doctor says it looks real bad. ". She wasn't kidding. I said "uh. Jesus. Tig. Well. Do you... Have your family... Helping?". She said "well my mom was with me but a few weeks ago she fell down, hit her head and she died". She still wasn't kidding.

Now, I'm pretty stupid to begin with, and I sure didn't know what to say now. I opened my mouth and this came out. "jeez, Tig. I. Really value you. Highly.". She said "I value you highly too, Louie.". Then she held up a wad of note-paper in her hand and said "I'm gonna talk about all of it on stage now. It's probably going to be a mess". I said "wow". And with that, she went on stage.

I stood in the wings behind a leg of curtain, about 8 feet from her, and watched her tell a stunned audience "hi. I have cancer. Just found out today. I'm going to die soon". What followed was one of the greatest standup performances I ever saw. I can't really describe it but I was crying and laughing and listening like never in my life. Here was this small woman standing alone against death and simply reporting where her mind had been and what had happened and employing her gorgeously acute standup voice to her own death.

The show was an amazing example of what comedy can be. A way to visit your worst fears and laugh at them. Tig took us to a scary place and made us laugh there. Not by distracting us from the terror but by looking right at it and just turning to us and saying "wow. Right?". She proved that everything is funny. And has to be. And she could only do this by giving us her own death as an example. So generous.

After her set, I asked Mark Flanagan, the owner of Largo (great club, by the way) if he recorded the set. Largo is set up for excellent recordings. He said that he did.

A few days later, I wrote Tig and asked her if I could release this set on my site. I wanted people to hear what I saw. What we all saw that night. She agreed. The show is on sale for the same 5 dollars I charge for my stuff. I'm only keeping 1. She gets the other 4. Tig has decided to give some of that to cancer research.

Tig, by the way, has since undergone a double mastectomy. She is doing well. Her doctors say her chances of survival are excellent. So she went there and came back. Her report from the frontlines of life and death are here for you to... Enjoy.

Please go to my site louisck.com and buy her show. You can buy it here:

http://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tig-notaro-live

Thank you. Have a terrific afternoon.

Louis C.K.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

Louis CK just seems like a cool dude. I'm not surprised by this at all. I might just purchase this to see what he's talking about.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 am
 View user's profile Send private message
SFR announcement



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 921
 Reply with quote  

I read that story last night and teared up quite a bit. Got me thinking about a lot of things that are life related, entertainment related, business related, Louis related. His approach is great. But, as I've mentioned before, it's great for HIM. It's not a model that can be followed by most, especially not comedians/entertainers who are on the come up. You have to have an incredibly large following, strong internet outreach, business savvy, investment capitol and the ear of mainstream news/entertainment outlets. That said, if most people in his fortunate position *did* follow this model, I'd love to see how the industry could survive it and not implode.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3183
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

SFR announcement wrote:
I read that story last night and teared up quite a bit. Got me thinking about a lot of things that are life related, entertainment related, business related, Louis related. His approach is great. But, as I've mentioned before, it's great for HIM. It's not a model that can be followed by most, especially not comedians/entertainers who are on the come up. You have to have an incredibly large following, strong internet outreach, business savvy, investment capitol and the ear of mainstream news/entertainment outlets. That said, if most people in his fortunate position *did* follow this model, I'd love to see how the industry could survive it and not implode.


I think its less about the model and more the about the principle. If I saw a musician busking on the street and then buy a sandwich for a homeless guy, I'd probably throw him $10. Also, I probably won't have much of an opportunity to "do something" or help somebody today, but on a micro level, since I just bought this comedy album (which I just did), I feel like in a small way my $ will go towards making this woman's life better. The selflessness is refreshing and I will support that kind of thing everytime I see it.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
poopsnack



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 2840
Location: Mid West
 Reply with quote  

It's a great stand up. The bit about God not giving you more than you can handle had me belly laughing.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

I have always loved Tig Natoro's comedy. Both her standup and her acting. I was for awhile following the Dr. blastoff podcast she was a part of which was also really funny. Will have to check this out.

My fave comedians are like Kyle Kinane, Maria Bamford, Jen Kirkman, Paul F. Tomkins, Sarah Silverman, and Patton Oswalt. I also like Marc Maron, though less for his comedy and more for his podcast--though it's been a minute since I've been listening to it. Oh I also like Jimmy Pardo.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.


Joined: 09 Jan 2003
Posts: 1281
Location: Fitchburg, MA
 Reply with quote  

I've been digging Duncan Trussell's podcast lately
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
SFR announcement



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 921
 Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:
SFR announcement wrote:
I read that story last night and teared up quite a bit. Got me thinking about a lot of things that are life related, entertainment related, business related, Louis related. His approach is great. But, as I've mentioned before, it's great for HIM. It's not a model that can be followed by most, especially not comedians/entertainers who are on the come up. You have to have an incredibly large following, strong internet outreach, business savvy, investment capitol and the ear of mainstream news/entertainment outlets. That said, if most people in his fortunate position *did* follow this model, I'd love to see how the industry could survive it and not implode.


I think its less about the model and more the about the principle. If I saw a musician busking on the street and then buy a sandwich for a homeless guy, I'd probably throw him $10. Also, I probably won't have much of an opportunity to "do something" or help somebody today, but on a micro level, since I just bought this comedy album (which I just did), I feel like in a small way my $ will go towards making this woman's life better. The selflessness is refreshing and I will support that kind of thing everytime I see it.


I'm not quite sure I understand the selflessness part. You are paying for something in return. And, yes, it's great that this money will hopefully go toward helping out Tig's situation. But what you just participated in was a trade of money for goods. It wasn't charity. Also, it's a shame that it gets to a point where people feel like, "OK...I can now pay for something since the artist is in a really tough spot." Because, as you probably might suspect, I know a LOT of great artists who live from check to check. And maybe, if people supported more often (other than when shit totally hits the fan,) the shit wouldn't hit the fan in the first place. But as we all know, technology has made it possible for all digital entertainment to easily be stolen. Not only that, but there's no conceivable way most people could pay for all the music they like that's now available. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you or the issue all together. If that's the case, I apologize for that. I'm mainly confused about the "selfless" thing.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3183
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

I meant that Louis is the selfless one (not me). The $1 he gets out of the cut is probably to cover what he had to to spend to produce the product. That is what i think is admirable.

He is way better than myself, who is paying for a product in return.

As far as the warm fuzzies (from my perspective)....just feels good to buy something that benefits an individual who is having a tough time.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SFR announcement



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 921
 Reply with quote  

I understand the warm/fuzzies. 100%.
It's the other stuff we might be in disagreement over. But it's not worth drilling that into the ground when there's such a feel good vibe going on.
He did a good thing. She deserves the support. The public feels good by supporting. Win/win/win.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SFR announcement



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 921
 Reply with quote  

I understand the warm/fuzzies. 100%.
It's the other stuff we might be in disagreement over. But it's not worth drilling that into the ground when there's such a feel good vibe going on.
He did a good thing. She deserves the support. The public feels good for supporting. Win/win/win.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
poopsnack



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 2840
Location: Mid West
 Reply with quote  

SFR announcement wrote:
But as we all know, technology has made it possible for all digital entertainment to easily be stolen.

Back in the day she would have only gotten the money from the door or just the money up front for that night. The internet is providing her a way to gain funds from others as well.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
SFR announcement



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 921
 Reply with quote  

poopsnack wrote:
SFR announcement wrote:
But as we all know, technology has made it possible for all digital entertainment to easily be stolen.

Back in the day she would have only gotten the money from the door or just the money up front for that night. The internet is providing her a way to gain funds from others as well.


Not only is that impossible to prove, but it all depends on how "back in the day" you're talking. Speaking of "back in the day", people (especially comedians) were able to perform fresh material and bits that weren't immediately thrown up on the internet for the whole world to see (making it only fresh for the picking from there on out.) I hope you understand how that fucks up their game. So, yeah, the internet is providing her a way to gain funds -- AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR thanks to the incredible help from someone who is in the fortunate position to provide that help to her -- which is what we're talking about here.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
poopsnack



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 2840
Location: Mid West
 Reply with quote  

That is a good point about how things being thrown up on the internet fucks up a comedian's game. I am sure comedians used to get away with just rehashing the same bits for a lot longer when things were not as easy to share. Everything is recorded now, and they have to be on their game much more and for longer. The job is now harder, but it is easier to get recognized and put in the spotlight (like here in Tig's case).
Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 am
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

poopsnack wrote:
That is a good point about how things being thrown up on the internet fucks up a comedian's game. I am sure comedians used to get away with just rehashing the same bits for a lot longer when things were not as easy to share. Everything is recorded now, and they have to be on their game much more and for longer.


That's not even really it. A huge part of the art of comedy is the fine tuning of a bit over the course of years on the road. Playing with the timing, the wording, the execution--you built an act through putting in real stagework. The internet fucks that up by putting material out there before it's really ready, and passing judgment on it in it's infancy. I remember reading youtube comments tearing apart Jen Kirkman for some stuff of hers that found it's way onto youtube--but I mean, it was like the first time she'd even tried that material and it wasn't MEANT to be presented as finished to the world at large.

What you would do "back in the day" is you would develop an act, and then travel with that act, and you could work in new material around that act, which you could grow organically over time. And then once you were done, you'd go do the HBO special or record the album or whatever--and it'd be polished and on point.

The cool thing about the internet for comedy nerds is getting to watch this type of thing actually happen. The bad thing for comedians is that 90 percent of the people who absorb their material know absolutely nothing about the craft of what they are watching, and so a bit that gets leaked out before it's ready to youtube, could have a bad effect on the comedian's marketability going forward.

I dunno, it'd be like if people could leak everytime Sage picked up a mic and tried to work on something. Because the only way in comedy to work on something is with a stage and a mic and an audience.
Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:19 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon