Search
Register
Artistic Evolution
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

coolerthanhot

Artistic Evolution  Reply with quote  

Hi

I dug around a little bit and couldn't seem to find anything similar to this. (No search-bar on this forum either?? Madness!)

I'm curious to hear what the SFR community (in particular the artists themselves, in particular Sage Francis) have to say about the evolution of subject matter, style, and purpose in their art that they have experienced throughout their lives. I realize that many of you have likely written / been interviewed on this subject countless times already. So if the thought of writing out a response is less than appealing I'd still be very appreciative of links to any writings or interviews that you feel you expressed yoursel/f/ves particularly well on this subject.

^This is the general idea of the thread. Now I'm going to go into my personal perceptions and more specific questions, but I invite you all to share your thoughts on the above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, to me, Personal Journals is more or less the holy bible of underground hip hop. I wince a little bit at the use of religion-related hyperbole; no I don't think you're a god. I'm just trying to say, to me and for myself it's the best hiphop/rap/slam related album I've ever heard.

That said- I've really enjoyed a lot of the other stuff that you've done prior and since, and I'd be interested to hear the gist of the thought process that drove you from that into the present.

Again, I realize that you've probably had this 'conversation' about 1000 too many times in your life already, and if you can direct me to something already extant online that would save you time and throw me a bone, that's more than cool with me.

Thanks[/b]
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 am
anomaly
Loserface

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am
coolerthanhot

Can't really say I see how going to someone's own website and asking them personally for an up-to-date perception of their art and the journey that created it has anything to do with 'homework'.

Were you planning to grade my perceptions against those of the artist?

If the individual doesn't have time or inclination to respond that's fair. Everyone has to make choices on what they spend their time doing, and I'm not really interested in judging that.

Edit:

In retrospect this was pretty reactionary of me. I understand where you're coming from with the gif.

I really didn't make this thread looking for links. I was _hoping_ for a fairly in-depth, measured discussion by artists. I don't think any edited interview snippets would really equate to that. I mentioned interview/previously written alternatives twice because I get that people who've been interviewed on this exact subject might not feel like putting together another explanation, but really even past examples hand chosen by the artists are kind of a distant second.

Also, I'm genuinely interested to hear from anyone on here that's been making music for a large chunk of their lives.

Last edited by coolerthanhot on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am
Captiv8

That GIF is bullshit. At first I thought it was a unicorn, which is about as badass as it gets. But no, it's just a wee dude with an anorexic rolling pin. Anything passes as art these days.
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Awwww mannnnnn, it's not a unicorn. Well, fuck me.
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i dont understand the question
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 pm
coolerthanhot

Pretty straightforward

I wanted to hear from artists about their evolution of style/substance/purpose within their music, in as a great a detail as possible

Tell your own story, propose some theory that you project onto every other artist you meet, whatever- I just wanted to hear from honest people who've been making music for a very long time about their changes and growth
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:26 pm
coolerthanhot

I feel like posting this now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvUBRN7ws4s

Last edited by coolerthanhot on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

A lot of us document our life and what's happening in that life through the stories we tell, words we use, references we make and styles we use. You can't even control that from album to album unless you are intent on sticking to exactly one sound. I like to make quantum leaps from time to time, reflect back on old styles, try out new stuff, but really I just make the music that makes the most sense to me in the moment. I feel like that's normal.
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:43 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Sage Francis wrote:
A lot of us document our life and what's happening in that life through the stories we tell, words we use, references we make and styles we use. You can't even control that from album to album unless you are intent on sticking to exactly one sound. I like to make quantum leaps from time to time, reflect back on old styles, try out new stuff, but really I just make the music that makes the most sense to me in the moment. I feel like that's normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix8s_TUYVW8

first thing that popped into my head when i finished reading that...
Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:13 pm
mancabbage

thread needs a real unicorn

lives in a cave in north korea
Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm
Captiv8

See? Unicorns are masculine as fuck.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 am
coolerthanhot

"That said, we’ve delivered tens of thousands of packages to our fans since we our meager beginnings in 2000 and we expect those numbers to climb for years to come. "

"to our fans since we our meager beginnings in 2000"

"we our"

I would've pm'd this but not an option obviously

I'm not trying to be a dick this stuff just irks me
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 am
anomaly
Loserface

*dick. This
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am
Sarcastro

coolerthanhot wrote:

I'm not trying to be a dick this stuff just irks me