Search
Register
Blow My Whistle.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Plum Puddin'

Blow My Whistle.  Reply with quote  

"Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars,
should be encouraged rather than stifled as they have been during the Bush administration.
We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrong doing and partners in performance"

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's about high time we open up this discussion here.

This forum was silent during the Boston bombing and the bizarre aftermath. And it still remains silent during the Snowden situation. The majority of this forum seemed to be pro Obama pre-election during the first couple years of his Presidency. Myself included, though I was mainly just watching and wondering how things would turn. Hoping for the best based on my original feeling about him. But wow...things are out of fucking control these days. It's scary. I suppose most of us are bottlenecked with frustration and/or questions at this point?

Last edited by Sage Francis on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Sole and Jared were one step ahead of most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yk_k0BwRrU
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 am
Plum Puddin'

I don't even know where to start.

The NSA stuff? The hard on for drone murder? Snowden & Manning?

My tin foil hat wearing 25 year old self is screaming at me from the past.

"I TOLD YOU MOTHERFUCKER!"

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 am
Plum Puddin'

They grounded A PRESIDENTIAL PLANE coz they "thought" Snowden was on board.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/03/world/americas/bolivia-plane-snowden/

Run rabbit, coz when they catch you they'll kill you

Last edited by Plum Puddin' on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:39 am
Plum Puddin'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/04/obama-agrees-talks-germany-spying

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:17 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

People are too afraid to talk about this stuff, I think. It's more Orwellian than Orwell could even imagine.

FWIW I did try to bump that "fascinating/terrifying surveillance talk" thread from last year.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:23 pm
AdamBomb

Do you hear about that american guy who got snowed-in in Moscow? Evidently, he's stuck there and they want him in the asylum.

I feel like Snowden took one for the team, expecting folks to be outraged and rally behind him. Instead, a lot of folks went "Hmmm....oh yeah?" and then went about their business facebooking witty quips and wanking around on their pacifier (i mean cellphone). Foreign countries seem to be more pissed about being spied on then our own. All we did was stand there...

How fair are elections going to be when those in power with access to info can download the opponents entire life and privacy?

Also http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/

I think what people had ideally seen in Obama is not what we got. At the end of the day, he's no visionary....just another politician basking in his ego. Believing his own hype instead of kicking ass and making us believe it.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:47 pm
Plum Puddin'

jakethesnake wrote:
People are too afraid to talk about this stuff, I think.

The silence is kinda weird though.

Bush would fart & there would be a rally against it.

What are people afraid of?
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 pm
Plum Puddin'

LOLz

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:06 pm
Plum Puddin'

Shit, i guess you do have to be afraid.

“Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.” He added “lol” and “jk” for good measure. For this he was arrested by Austin police, charged with making a “terroristic threat,” and thrown into prison."

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/352432/free-justin-carter-now-charles-c-w-cooke
Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm
Sarcastro

Re: Blow My Whistle.  Reply with quote  

Plum Puddin' wrote:
"Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars,
should be encouraged rather than stifled as they have been during the Bush administration.
We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrong doing and partners in performance"

That is such a perfect quote.

It blows my mind when simple acts are pounced on by the opposition as grounds for impeachment but something like this is just swept under the rug because everyone in power is completely in favour of spying on us 24/7.

I think AdamBomb described the Snowden thing well, now you just feel bad for him. Even if he gets asylum they'll somehow either twist his story into him being the villain or a joke, or both.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Plum Puddin' wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:
People are too afraid to talk about this stuff, I think.

The silence is kinda weird though.

Bush would fart & there would be a rally against it.

What are people afraid of?

I agree.

I can post a picture of a beer and get 10 likes in 10 minutes. It can even be a shitty beer, or like a piece of pizza, or a mangy cat.

Post an article about Obama condemning Bush for cracking down on whistleblowers, then doing the same thing 3 years later? Utter silence. I posted that Biden video. Nothing. Not even a lolz.

One guy I'm FB friends with posted a picture yesterday with a caption "Let's take a moment to stop hating on America and celebrate America". When did anyone stop celebrating America? That's literally what 99% of people in America do from the day they are born until they die. Celebrate how awesome the USA is.

A 20 something year old girl I knew when I was a kid, but am now FB friends with said: "If I had to think about this stuff all day I wouldn't be happy" (re: government surveillance)

I can't argue with that. The rabble is too comfortable to be roused. People probably have me blocked on FB at this point. Apparently I interrupt their illusion with harsh reality.

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:25 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Angelo Crispino with Second-Hand News wrote:

Do you hear about that american guy who got snowed-in in Moscow? Evidently, he's stuck there and they want him in the asylum.

Hah. Nailed it.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 am
tommi teardrop

I can't speak for anyone else, but this wasn't that big of a deal to me because I already thought/assumed it was going on. Isn't this why we were all upset about the Patriot Act?

Are we supposed to be pissed because Obama said he wouldn't do it? I guess I never put much faith in that. So I'm not really let down.

And I guess there is a level where I just don't care. Perhaps that's apathetic, but I don't really have any subversive or illegal shit going down in my phone calls or email.

I would be a little more upset if I found out that this info was being used to prosecute unjust treason cases against kids who read too much Chomsky, but as far as I know, that is not going on.

On a broader level though, I am sort of annoyed that all of the momentum the anti-two-party-system movement had got obliterated by the idea that we have to support whoever is running against the republicans. It feels like that ship has sailed, and we just have to live with whatever the Democrats decide upon. Lesser of two . . . (shoot myself)
Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next