Search
Register
Yeezus Grail
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

remind

Yeezus Grail  Reply with quote  

Greetings, forum heads! Hope you're all well.

As you all know, very much has been said about these two albums from two of the most dominant rappers doing it. I didn't see an existing thread so I'm wondering how you guys have received Yeezus and Magna Carta Holy Grail musically, lyrically, commercially, etc. Personally, I love Yeezus and I think MCHG is very solid.

When I first heard Black Skinhead and New Slaves, I was pretty fucking amped. I loved that Kanye did both songs on SNL and was actually hoping that the rest of the album would sound more like these tracks. I quickly got over that hope and have been nodding my head hard to Guilt Trip and Blood on the Leaves. Kanye and his team of producers nailed this shit and every person who's quick to hate on him/Yeezus with nothing constructive to offer just increases my enjoyment of this album that much more.

I'm still taking in MCHG but man I love the first 3 tracks. Never thought I'd sing along with Justin Timberlake. All three of these beats are super nice. Not really feeling the song with Nas, unfortunately. I took advantage of my Galaxy phone and downloaded it on the 4th. I thought this was pretty cool despite the in your face "new rules" marketing being employed. Been playing it non-stop.

What do you guys think? Let's talk about rap.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:32 pm
AdamBomb

First I want to say I like a lot of mainstream rap. Been curious about both of these albums.

Yeezus sucks. Sounds like the whole album was run through a shitty guitar pedal. The kicks do not knock. Its not as forward thinking as the critics give it credit for. I applaud a mainstream artist for taking chances as it seems like no big artist does these days (something I have respect for the Beatles in having done). However, this album is a pretentious pile of mediocre crap. Run the Jewels sounds way more edgy/futuristic and perplexing subject matter. Kanye aint that deep. Rick Rubin (and his Boss DS-1 he ran the entire mix through) are overrated.

MCHG (or Magna Carter Hovy Grail as it probably was originally called) has way better beats. Best beats from Timbaland in over a decade. Some of the best beats are songs that are only 50 seconds long. My beef is that Hov's got the most bloated braggadocio stuff going on. The economy is stressing out everyone I know and this dude is just dapping his cuban cigar in your face. Bragging for humorous effect can be good, but this just came off as smug like Donald Trump telling you how much richer he is than your whole family. EVERY single bar has an element of this. Plus Jay-z really dialed it in. Buy a pad and paper, dude...please.

In the meantime, I'm listening to Run the Jewels and Joey Badass' new mixtape Summer Knights. J. Cole's LP was kind of a yawner...though there were some good moments beat-wise. Mac Miller's album was entertaining at points and had really good production.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm
tommi teardrop

I disagree completely.

For whatever reason, I have zero interest in hearing a new Jay-Z record. Maybe I'll hear some of it eventually and change my mind, but what is Jay-Z gonna say, at this point, that he hasnt already said, other than new dad raps? And I actually liked a lot of Blueprint 3. After Watch the Throne though, I don't think I need to hear anymore of Jay-Z. It's the same shit. Hand picked beats from top notch producers just strung together to make your typical rap record with a zillionaire patting himself on his back for being so happy with his accomplishments. Black Republican for sure. No thanks.

Whoever coined "income-gap rap" after Watch the Thrones nailed it.

Yeezus on the other hand is some wonky production on a huge rap record. That's something I didn't think I'd see. Black Skinhead and New Slaves are undeniable. Frank Ocean's vocals at the end of New Slaves kill me. The latter half of the record tails off a bit to me, but I still fucks with a lot of it. It's not an easy listen by any means though. People saying that Black Skinhead sounds like Beautiful People are fucking stupid. It has a little march thing at the beginning. That's it.

Hip hop "heads" are sure to hate it though. And he might not be able to win them back. I think that's a good thing.

But to be a massively famous rapper and to have the balls to put out 808s and now this, Kanye deserves some props even from those who don't like him. It's also pretty wild to put this record out weeks before you have your first kid. Will Kanye's next record be a redemption-themed soul-sample fest where he realizes the error of his ways and vows to be a good dad? God I hope not.

The only rapper compared to Michael. That's the truetrue.

In a landscape where almost every famous rapper uses the exact same blueprint (no pun), Yeezus is a breath of fresh air.

As far as Run the Jewels, I get excited to hear those two guys together, and I like a lot of it, but there's a part of me that feels like El-P's production just does not suite Mike's voice and abilities as a rapper as well as it could. I'm all for a collaboration record like this, but I hope Mike still checks for other producers that can make beats for him to ride a little more than he can to El's

We should talk about Starlito though. Probably my favorite right now. Lito!

I'll give Summer Knights a chance. I keep hearing RA's new record is good too. Havent heard the new Gibbs either.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm
Limbs

Ye moots himself by not going 2 bars without saying something about blowjobs or threesomes. He's 30 something right? With every album I want to like these guys way more than I do. I like watching Jay-Z take over the world though. I'd feel safer in his hands I guess.

I'm soaked in Kendrick right now. Dude set a bar I don't think anyone will touch for awhile.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 pm
Jack

None of its bad or anything, but it hasn't caught my attention. There is a ton of great stuff going on right now. Including Kendrick* and Run the Jewels (both mentioned in this thread).

I only started listening to his latest album a few months ago and it is one of the best concept albums I have ever heard.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 pm
Captiv8

People are still listening to Kanye, huh? That motherfucker needs his mouth sewn shut. I can't get past the man's public persona.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 am
breakfast

I think it's really ambitious of Kanye to release a Def Jux record produced by Rick Rubin. That's not even sarcasm - I thought that after Watch the Throne he'd keep working on well-curated and well-produced albums about conspicuous consumption.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 am
nodirectionhome

edit* double post
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm
nodirectionhome

sooooo is anyone else excited for the new deltron album in october?
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm
Captiv8

I can definitely support a new Deltron album. I don't know what Dan the Automator has been up to, but I do know Del could use some modern resurgence.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 pm
AdamBomb

Deltron 3030...loved the first album (still do). The first released track was pretty lame, imo.

For those not up on Joey Bada$$.

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm
poopsnack

I really hope the new Deltron is nice.

In the mean time, Run the Jewels.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 pm
Limbs

Jack wrote:
I only started listening to his latest album a few months ago and it is one of the best concept albums I have ever heard.

Every album is a concept album. This is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I like Section.80 a lot. GKMC blows me away. It's perfect. I'm pumped to see what else this dude does.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

its like kanye heard saul williams for the first time and failed at jacking his style.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:59 am
tommi teardrop

mortalthoughts wrote:
its like kanye heard saul williams for the first time and failed at jacking his style.
i've heard some people say this. Do you mean his vocals sound like Saul Williams or just that he's rocking abrasive beats? I never heard Saul Williams be that sexual and kanye doesn't sound very poetic. Does Saul use auto tune now or something? Does he even use conventional rhyme schemes?

I can't imagine Saul Williams using that Nina Simone song for that subject matter. Now that I think about it, they are completely different. Am I missing something?
Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:38 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next