Search
Register
The Sriracha Shutdown
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

The Sriracha Shutdown  Reply with quote  

The Sriracha Shutdown Is Actually Happening: http://m.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2013/11/sriracha-shutdown-actually-happening/7721/

Bad news for lovers of Sriracha sauce. A Los Angeles County court has ordered the maker of the iconic chili sauce to partially cease operations until it can get the allegedly eye-watering, heartburn-inducing odors its plant produces under control. The city of Irwindale sued Huy Fong Foods after residents living near a major Sriracha plant complained that spicy smells were giving them runny noses, headaches, and in one case, more nosebleeds.

Huy Fong says that its own workers have never complained about being close to the production of the sauce, made from jalapeño peppers, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. As we reported in October when the lawsuit was first filed, the move could pose a problem for supplies of Sriracha.

Because Huy Fong only uses fresh chilies that need to be processed within a day of being picked, the company processes all of the over 100 million plus pounds of chilies it uses during a two to three month window in the fall, as the chilies ripen. A partial shutdown of its 665,000-square-foot (about 61,780 square meters) plant in Irwindale right now could cripple production for the year ahead, and force Huy Fong to leave chilies to rot.

The company already struggles to meet global demand for its increasingly popular sauce. The Irwindale plant was opened to supplement production from another plant about half its size a few miles away. The company planned to eventually move all production to Irwindale.

The case may still go to trial but city officials say they hope the company and Irwindale can resolve the issue out of court. If the case isn’t resolved soon and Sriracha supplies are affected, David Tran, founder of Huy Fong who says he’s never raised the wholesale price for the sauce in over 30 years of its making, might have to change his mind about that.

all food as i know will now fail

RIP
Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Stock up! It might be a year before it's back on the shelves..

This is worse than the 4 Loko shutdown.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:58 am
Captiv8

Cock sauce got cock blocked.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:00 am
anomaly
Loserface

Sriracha is for the weak stomached pansies.
Go get some real chilisauce, girls.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:26 pm
al(phonic)

a hipster ketchup shortage? my town is going to implode
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 pm
Captiv8

When did Sriracha become a hipster product? More like poor college student staple, because nothing makes Ramen more palatable. Plus, I don't think most hipsters have the stomach for it. It's not that bad, as anomaly indicated, but it's spicier than most folks like.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 pm
ecapataz

anomaly wrote:
Sriracha is for the weak stomached pansies.
Go get some real chilisauce, girls.

Agreed. Nobody in Asia uses it either.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

tell us some sauces , post pics too if possible
Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Go to any Pho house and find that red oily sauce w/ the red pepper deathflakes floating around in it. That packs a pretty mean punch to the gut

Last edited by anomaly on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:33 am
Captiv8

About the most I can do with heat is telling the waiter at a thai restaurant I'd like my food medium spicy. Even then I usually end up sweating and drinking a gallon of water. And the fiery asshole the next day is not worth it. Props to those that can handle the super hot stuff, but I prefer enjoying my meal. Oh, and I usually get the hiccups when something is too spicy, and that's the worst.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 am
Limbs

Guh I fucking hate the hiccups. I usually do hot with Indian food tho and it treats me fine. I love cayenne.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:14 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

anomaly wrote:
that red oily sauce w/ the red pepper deathflakes floating around in it.

there's a teppanyaki restaurant down the street.
and last time my wife and i were there, i got a broccoli, beef and jalapeno stir fry with a couple spoons of that shit.....

and whooooo.. it's been weeks and i'm still breathing great thru my nose.
fuck a neti-pot. eat super spicy food.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm
DeadAwake

I liked their sweet chilli sauce. I get the feeling sweet chilli sauce isnt very good for you, health-wise though.

I had a habanero chilli in one of my usual stir fry dinners. They kick you in the face but its worth it. Once every couple months though.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 am
tommi teardrop

Sriracha has become a standard condiment in my part of the country. People put it on almost everything. I heard a story about the company on NPR and it was pretty interesting. It said they've never advertised because they cannot produce enough product to keep up with any increase in demand.

I'm not a huge fan of chili myself, but everyone else I know uses it almost as often as they use salt and pepper.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Jump to: