"COPPER GONE" - MP3, CD, VINYL, tapes & errrrr
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Limbs

http://youtu.be/tZFzBKl5ODY

Awesome.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 am
xGasPricesx

Got my pre-order today, and of course it came the day after I e-mailed customer service checking on it (Sorry Mr. Davis, but I did appreciate the prompt response). Anyways, digging this album more and more as the days go by, right now I'm really digging Dead Man's Float, and can't help but hear the similarities to Modest Mouse. Apart from the chorus the guitar riff definitely has a very Moon In Antartica feel, not sure if that was intentional or not, but I like it. Overall really great album, glad Sage took his time cause he really brought his A-game with this one. Can't wait for the show.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm
mancabbage

i love the hunger on the record, reminds me of a debut - the quieter introspective moments pace it nicely, but the amount of 'fuck you listen to me' shit gets me going man, great to see that its getting a great reception out there too, really deserves it
Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:28 pm
Flossin

Limbs wrote:
Man, when those horns come in for the second verse on cheat code.

Agreed. That whole "If I'm not top billing, I'm show stealing" Sistine Chapel line is my favorite part of the album, probably. Is it very tacky to post about your own review of the album? Anyway, I reviewed it a while ago here: http://bit.ly/1p4iIFZ
I'm loving the album more with each listen. It far exceeded my wildest expectations. Either my favorite or second favorite Sage record.[/url]
Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:17 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 am
SFR announcement

In case anyone missed the announcement on our social networks, the video for Grace was released a couple weeks ago:
www.tinyurl.com/GraceVid

A ton of reviews have come in as well. We can hardly keep up. The feedback has been incredible though. Here are two of the most recent reviews.

RapReviews:
http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2014_06_coppergone.html

HipHopSite's review of Copper Gone:
http://www.hiphopsite.com/2014/06/23/sage-francis-copper-gone-review/
Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:54 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

A decent write up in Motif magazine. Always nice to get some local love. It's been a rarity in the last 8 years or so:

http://motifri.com/sage-francis-grasps-listeners-by-the-neck-and-shakes-with-copper-gone/

Earlier this month Providence’s hometown hip-hop hero, Sage Francis, lovingly referred to as “Uncle Sage,” released Copper Gone. The much anticipated album marks the end of a four-year hiatus and his first studio album under his own indie label, Strange Famous Records.

Copper Gone is a 14-track trip into the psyche of Sage, merging his eminent quick-tongued sharp lyrical flair and what may be his darkest autobiographical poetic styling yet. He masterfully uses twisted imagery as commentary on his personal state of affairs along with the absurdity of today’s popular culture (“Knit me a sweater with the intestines of attention whores,” he raps in “MAINT REQD”).

“It’s mainly in reference to houses that get stripped for their scrap metal,” Sage explained of the album’s title. “There was an abandoned building near where I live that had ‘Copper Gone’ spray painted onto it in an attempt to keep people from breaking into it. It was basically a plea to the people. Like, ‘Hey … there’s nothing left. I’ve been stripped clean. Stop fucking with me now.’”

The album explodes out of the gate 15 seconds into the first track, “Pressure Cooker,” with an abruptly shouted, “I been busy, get off my nuts,” as if to say, “Yeah, I’ve been on hiatus. What’s it to you?” setting the pace for the level of energy that holds strong through the entirety of Copper Gone. “I definitely felt the pressure to have an album that socked people over the head. And in the bread basket. And in the bean bag,” Sage explained of creating his first full-length album since 2010′s LI(F)E.

The power that Copper Gone demonstrates commands the listener’s attention through mellower lulls in the track list as well with captivating lyricism and well developed, easy riding beats. Sage’s infamy as a wordsmith comes to fruition with his visual storytelling. He depicts a love gone far downhill in ”Grace,” rapping in the outro,

“This a music box that haunts me from the top-shelf of the bedroom closets
I don’t touch it, it just cuddles with my conscience
I’m on constant guard, jittery the whole night
Clinging the sheets because it sings to me slow like
And that’s her song running through an hourglass…”
Sage’s lyrics flow easily over by a diverse mix of beats from a number of producers in addition to affiliates Buck 65, Alias, Ceciel Otter and Reanimator. “A French producer by the name of Le Parasite put together [the "Over Under"] beat,” Sage explained, “It was actually submitted as part of a remix contest we held on our website a few years back. I liked the beat so much I asked him if I could keep it on reserve for an original song. The beat for ‘Say Uncle’ also came about in a similar way. In fact, now that I think of it, a lot of the producers on this record got in touch with me from the remix contests we held at Strange Famous. Crazy how that all worked out.”

Indie record Copper Gone has seen an overwhelming amount of support in its first month in circulation. Mid-June the album reached number 135 on Billboard’s Top 200 list of current albums and number 23 on the list of current hip-hop. Sage is currently on the final leg of his US tour, ending the journey at home in Providence.

He’ll be tearing down the house at Fete with Strange Famous artist and RI local, B. Dolan on July 4. What can fans expect at this homecoming? “Pure fucking insanity. We’re leaving it all out on the stage that night. If people leave that show feeling like it wasn’t the best show they’ve seen in recent years I’d be surprised. This will be one for the books. No doubt. Medical ones especially,” Sage assures us.

Copper Gone is available for purchase on strangefamous.com on vinyl, CD, digital download and yes, cassette tape.

Sage Francis with B Dolan
July 4, 7pm
Fete Ballroom, 103 Dike St, Providence
Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:51 am
DeadAwake

Thank You  Reply with quote  

A few words about my interpretation of the song 'Thank You', and understanding which may be partial and pre-mature or non-existent.

For me, the emotional thread, the driving force behind this song is that of gratitude born from remorse, the remorse of a betrayal or a self-perceived betrayal of someone who gave (a) gift/s which assisted one in life. Gifts which became core aspects of ones livelihood and ones being.

I believe the best means of understanding such a song (to a greater extent) is by bringing oneself into such a state, that is of remorse born from organic shame, which in its evolution becomes an impulse of gratitude, a gratitude mixed with regret. This receptivity happened once in me out of maybe 40 listens, stirring a hysteria and leaving me drained but relieved with the closing note.

Relating it to my self and past happenings, there is a degree of self-revulsion, helplessness and humility in an experience of this nature. I dont know the philoligcal connection between the words humiliation and humility, but it seems when one feels the former, in them self, sincerely, not reflexively, it gives birth to the latter. Humiliation being the result of shame and by humilitation, what i mean isnt to be embarassed publicly by doing something which is unpalatable to the general populace or ones social circle, but a self-embarassment of how one conducted themselves with regards to their principles or maybe ignoring things (intentionally or unintentionally) which someone thinks or knows to be screamingly obvious or which become apparent and obvious with the flow of time.

So the aspects of humanness, that is organic shame, remorse, humility and gratitude are the evolutionary steps the song can walk you through, that is if you can put on its shoes. 'Thank You' can serve as a memento and an alarm clock which calls you to labour to seed and sustain these impulses in yourself when possible and when appropriate, to become part of yourself.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:22 pm
Plum Puddin'

ADOPTED BY EVERY HIP HOP GEORGE PAPADOPOLOUS!
Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:44 am
Cold Funcrusher

haha dope rhyme...
Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:17 am
SFR announcement

Plum Puddin' wrote:
ADOPTED BY EVERY HIP HOP GEORGE PAPADOPOLOUS!

Although it's unlikely that a majority of people understood this Webster reference due to the age of most show-goers, this line got one of the biggest reactions at each show on tour. Hahaa. Crazy. Cadence is a hell of a drug.

Here's a pretty lengthy and interesting review of Copper Gone from a guy who goes back to the DJ Unknown mixtape days:
http://www.dome-land.com/sage-francis-copper-gone/
Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 am
MYOWNCLICHE

WELL DONE Sage. Congrats!!!
Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 am
SFR announcement

www.tinyurl.com/CopperGoneVinyl

A few days after the tour was finished, I woke up to 70 big boxes placed upon 5 wooden pallets -- all plopped down in my driveway. The day before this happened I threw my back out by putting on my socks. Yes. This happens once a year. I threw my back out by putting on socks a day after I posted a picture of me wearing shoes without socks...and people shamed me for that. So I put on my socks the next day, I subsequently threw my back out, I went to bed in pain, and I woke up the next morning to a person knocking on my door as I screamed, "HOLD ON...I'M ON MY WAY...I'M COMING...HOLD ON" as I stumble-crawled to the door by holding onto anything that could support my weight.

I pulled myself to my feet by using the door knob. I opened the door and held myself upright by hanging onto the top of the door frame as I greeted the FedEx man in my pajamas. I explained to him that it took me so long to get to the door because I threw my back out (by putting on my socks a day after people shamed me for posting a photo of me wearing shoes with no socks.) He didn't care. Maybe you don't either. He asked me to sign off for the 70 boxes sitting in my driveway. Yes, but...that would entail me letting go of the door frame. Which I did. As I let out a short yelp and stood in a position that may have looked strange but not nearly as much as it hurt.

But FUGGIT...the vinyl had finally arrived. And I was already sort of standing, so I made my way over to the small mountain of boxes as I tore my way through plastic and cardboard. With the grand help of Eyerenna, Storm and Hugo, we unpackaged 700 pieces of vinyl for me to sign, brought them to the office to ship out to customers, and we stored the remaining boxes in whatever space we could find.

Speaking of customers, in the last month we fielded close to 200 emails from people who were wondering why the heck their vinyl hadn't been shipped yet. We did our best to politely inform them that the shipping date is July 15th (as stated in red lettering on the product page.) Alas, July 15th is here...these bad boys are being shipped...and your turntables will be fed with waxy goodness as soon as the post man gets these packages to your doorstep. And if you have a local record store worth its weight in salt, you should also be able to find it there.
TL;DR - VIVA LA VINYL!!!
Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 pm
Limbs

Awesome. I still can't decide on a favorite song. Or even a couple favorites. My favorite is whichever one I'm listening to.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:39 am
Limbs

Possibly my favorite rap line is "I don't speak in metaphysics, cuz I'm not a metaphysicist..."

A lot of fun to rap along with too.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next