Search
Register
Podcasts
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

SFR announcement

Podcasts  Reply with quote  

Just last week I decided I'd give sports talk radio a rest start checking out podcasts. The ones that get talked about a lot are Joe Rogan's, Marc Maron's, and the Ricky Gervais podcasts so I started with those.

I'm wondering if there are other podcasts that you guys find particularly informative or entertaining.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 pm
xGasPricesx

It depends what you are looking for in a podcast, if you are looking for interview podcasts then the ones you listed are pretty solid, I would personally add: You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes, How Was Your Week (when there's a good guest) and Nerdist.

Economics podcasts: Planet Money and Freakonomics - I highly recommend both even if the idea of an economics podcast sounds incredibly boring to you, because these guys actually really know how to make it interesting and entertaining.

Story podcasts - This American Life (obviously), The Moth, Snap Judgment and Risk! (there are plenty more, these are just the ones I check out on a regular basis)|

Other great ones that should definitely be checked out: Radiolab, Cracked (I know what you might be thinking, but their podcast is pretty consistently amazing), Judge John Hodgman, Pop Culture Happy Hour, Doug Loves Movies, How Did This Get Made, 99% Invisible, Dead Authors Podcast (check out the episode where John Hodgman plays Ayn Rand), Song Exploder and Oh No Ross and Carrie.

Those are just a bunch that I keep up with on a semi-regular basis, the AV Club also does a fairly decent weekly round up of a lot of different podcasts every Monday in their Podmass section. There are literally thousands of podcasts out there nowadays, so it really just depends what you are looking for, but there is a lot of great stuff. NPR also distributes one called 'Microphone Check' that is co-hosted by Ali Shaheed Muhammad where they interview a lot of great artists from hip-hop that is definitely worth a listen as well.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:17 pm
Limbs

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50750

There's some good recommendations from that thread sometime like a year ago maybe. I was wondering when/if a shots fired or something with you was gonna come out. Let's see you if you can me to sit through listening to these two yahoos. Nothing has in a while.

Limbs wrote:
Let's see you if you can me to sit through
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:46 pm
Limbs

Bill Burr's is still really enjoyable and you might enjoy his New Englandy ways. Him and his wife argue perfectly.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Limbs

Oh! And I just started listening to the Bret Easton Ellis podcast. He never shuts up it's great.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm
xGasPricesx

Limbs wrote:
Oh! And I just started listening to the Bret Easton Ellis podcast. He never shuts up it's great.

I've been meaning to check this one out, I like some of his work but really don't care much for him. For some reason though, I'm still fascinated by him, I have a similar thing with Dan Harmon. So I figure if I like Harmontown, yet hate Dan Harmon himself, I'll probably love BEE's podcast.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:04 pm
SFR announcement

Another question...

Are all of these podcasts on iTunes? That seems to be the most popular platform, yeah?
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:10 pm
xGasPricesx

SFR announcement wrote:
Another question...

Are all of these podcasts on iTunes? That seems to be the most popular platform, yeah?

Yes. That's what I use for my podcasts, but that's mainly because I have an iPhone. There are other programs, like Stitcher, that you can also download and subscribe to podcasts from if you don't have an iPhone or you just don't like the iTunes interface, but I find the podcast app on the iPhone to be pretty convenient. Either way, all of these are free to download and you can use iTunes to do so. Once you subscribe to a podcast too it just automatically downloads to your phone/computer/tablet or whatever you are using to listen to them.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm
Limbs

Yeah as much as I hate the iTunes podcast app it still is the most convenient way especially for how I and I think most people listen to podcasts. I will try stitcher. I have an iPhone.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:40 pm
tommi teardrop

I've become a huge podcast listener lately. Almost every podcast I listen to is on iTunes. This is what I'm checking out lately:

Norm MacDonald Live - I watch this one on Youtube cuz it's filmed. It's probably my favorite thing to watch all week. Norm is the GOAT to me, and even when he repeats himself, I like it.

WTF with Marc Maron - I listen when I am interested in the guest. Maron is a great interviewer but him talking about himself is not very interesting to me. There are mandatory listens here though. Norm MacDonald, Chris Rock, David Koechner

The Nerdist - Totally dependant on the guest. Not a big fan of Hardwick trying to be funny but he does a good interview

The Champs - Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher's podcast with mostly black people. It's good but lots of Chappelle namedrops from Brennan as usual. They don't do new ones very often.

Cheap Heat - Its a pro wrestling podcast for smart wrestling fans.

BS Report -Bill Simmons podcast gets some good guests sometimes

The Lowe Post - All NBA podcast from Zack Lowe. This dude knows too much about the NBA

Jalen & Jacoby - Another NBA podcast. Only for NBA junkies and not nearly as good as Lowe Post

Save it for the Show - My old roommate does a podcast about being a 32 year old Dad. I like it cuz he's my friend and I relate. Not sure if anyone else would like it.

Fantasy Focus - ESPN fantasy football podcast. It's essential if you play fantasy and are a nerd about it.

I have friend that is really into the DVDASA podcast with David Cho and Asa Akiara. It gets really repetitive to me and David Cho is a big fan of himself, but its funny here and there I guess and there is some art talk too.

I've been meaning to check out Comedy Bang Bang and You Made It Weird but haven't had time.

I'll check out Joe Rogan's if there is a guest I'm really interested in. I was checking out Serg's Stay Hatin for a while but I fell off. Hard for me to stay interested in music podcasts. It's sports or comedy only for me.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:50 pm
xGasPricesx

To add to the WTF recommendations, I'd definitely say listen to the Carlos Mencia episodes (it's a two-parter, and you will probably have to pay for them at this point but they are so worth it). Also, listen to the Johnny Knoxville and Roseanne Cash episodes. Knoxville because he's just a very charming and down-to-Earth guy and tells some really funny stories, and Cash because it's just fascinating to hear her stories about growing up and how she basically had to be a parent to her parents starting at a very young age.

Also, I really do recommend that everyone check out the Ayn Rand episode of Dead Authors Podcast. Hodgman really nails the free market elitism of Rand, and Paul F. Tompkins as H.G. Wells plays off him really well. Here's a link to that episode: http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-20-ayn-rand-featuring-john-hodgman
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:25 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I really like Ari Shaffir's podcast, conceptually. He gets a single guest and interviews that single guest for a long time about a single topic, something he's curious about and the guest knows a lot about.

I skip a lot of episodes, though--because mostly what Ari Shaffir is curious about is sex/relationships, drugs, and stand-up comedy. These are more than half of his episodes. Maybe one episode in twenty is so good I find myself thinking about it for weeks or months afterward, which means that he's put out over a dozen hours of really top-shelf content.

http://shaffir1.libsyn.com/rss

I listen to Duncan Trussell's podcast a lot as well. There's a lot to like about the way he sees the world, he has a lot of off-the-beaten-track guests, and when he lets the show get weird it often scratches me right in my Discordian itchy bits.

The strange thing about this one is that it started out as a separate podcast he was jointly hosting with Natasha Leggero when the two of them were romantically attached; it was a very different animal back then, and the current format only kept a few of those features. Much less weird conceptual humor now, more just talking about cool stuff in a half-funny manner.

http://lavenderhour.libsyn.com/rss

Joey Diaz used to do a podcast with Felicia Michaels, and now does a completely separate podcast with Lee Syatt called The Church of What's Happening Now. Joey Diaz is a really boisterous guy who grew up thuggish in New Jersey, went to prison, and became an incredibly dirty stand-up comic. Mostly it's just an hour a few times per week talking about his interesting, fucked-up life, sometimes with his friends.

http://thechurchofwhatshappeningnow.libsyn.com/rss

All of these are colloquially described as "Deathsquad" podcasts, essentially meaning close friends of Joe Rogan's. I also listen to Rogan's podcast, but only if there is a very specific guest or topic I'm interested in. As he's gotten more polished in the format I've enjoyed it less. I don't give a shit about most of the other Deathsquad podcasts, but Bert Kreischer's is occasionally good and Little Esther's is an awful, awful guilty pleasure. (Although both episodes with Max Landis were very, very good. Tommi, you should seek out the second one because it's the strangest shoot conversation you'll ever hear Dolph Ziggler take part in: http://www.feralaudio.com/22-wwes-dolph-ziggler-feat-max-landis/)

I avoid Maron, Carolla, Hardwick, and others for the same reason I avoid Joe Rogan: I actively like the fact that it's a couple of people sitting in front of equipment they don't entirely know how to work, talking without a well-planned format. The more structured the conversation is, the more trouble I have mentally separating them from radio interviews on NPR or the like, and then my brain checks out.

From non-comedians:
Miette's Bedtime Story Podcast: http://www.miettecast.com/?feed=podcast -- extremely infrequent, just a woman reading short stories or excerpts from longer material in a slow, measured voice. This is not the same thing as the ASMR thing, and I discovered it separately; IIRC, through Stitcher's recommendation system after I browsed into their "literature" section. I like Miette's podcasts because I don't entirely understand why they exist at all, or what they mean to people who know who she is or what she is attempting to do. I really need to step up my "weird, calming stuff to play in the background" game.

Gamewank: http://www.jamietrinca.co.uk/gamewank_eps/GW_feed.xml -- long-form discussion about video games out of Scotland. Spawned a YouTube character called "Tam McGleish" which was so successful it nearly broke up the band, but they're soldiering on. Their conversation with Owen "MechaGamezilla" O'Donnell about the Tomb Raider reboot actually changed my thinking about video games a little bit. I have the same problem with their content that I do with most nerd/geek-centric content, which is that I feel annoyed by the groupthink.

I occasionally listen to the Subsoniq podcast, particularly their "Subsoniq Instru-mentals" thing--but it annoys me just as often as it entertains me, so they don't get a link.

Finally, I also live stream quite a bit of Netroots Radio through Stitcher, but I sleep through most of it.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:06 pm
Limbs

Todd Barry does his in his kitchen and doesn't have only comedians on.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:06 pm
mancabbage

joe rogan is a spanner. Serriously bad mid life crisis going on over there, last time i checked in the fucker is doing motivational speeches and selling brain pills.

I used to like it to kill sometime at work, it was cool when it was a bunch of dudes sittin on a couch whilst diaz spouted shit, enjoyable. sponsored by a wanking aid. It filled dead air between my ears, i could dig it.

Now this onnit.com malarky thats draped all over it is just awful, flogging that snake oil bullshit to impressionable kids whilst all that hgh has made his face inflate to the size of a damn cow pat. He's like a kung fu mormon or something now

weird shit
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Too good.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next