Search
Register
What is one thread from here that you will remember forever?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

What is one thread from here that you will remember forever?  Reply with quote  

So since various social media/networking sites and real world responsibilities have brought this forum's new post count down to a trickle, I figured it'd be fun for people to look back on the old days. I was pretty late to the party myself, not discovering this forum till late 2006 and not even creating an account till a few years after. It kind of blew my mind at the time that a lot of the artists I loved were all posting on a forum where I could communicate with them directly if I had wanted too. There was also a lot of really interesting and heady discussions about various political and social issues that kind of blew my mind at the time, people who were way smarter than myself discussing and articulating things that I had kind of felt already but never quite understood, or in certain cases, totally opening my mind to issues I hadn't ever encountered before (like trans issues).

Anyways, my question is what is one thread that will stick in your memory for years to come and why?

Here is one of my examples, which I probably wouldn't consider the most famous thread in my mind, but it was the first one I found when looking back. It was from 2008 and dealt with a lot of drama between SFF, Necro and UGHH, and I think I liked it so much because it was almost like a undeground hip-hop reality TV show playing out right in front of my eyes. A reality TV show that I could also directly interact with in real time. - http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44158
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:52 am
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Not my finest moment.

I'll always remember the Donnie Darko discussions. Here's one of many:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46290

#AlwaysRemember #NeverForget
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:29 am
xGasPricesx

If we were to play the word association game, and someone said SFF, I would say "Donnie Darko" and "deer meat".
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

After reading through these two threads, I can't help but wonder: Where did PHIL LACIO AKA PDAWG come from and where is he now??????
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

He is in Arizona doing his thing. He hits me up on Twitter a lot. I think I reactivated his account here a long time ago. Maybe I didn't. Whatever the case, if he wants to post here he's welcome to.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm
xGasPricesx

I actually remember that dude coming back for a brief stint, but it didn't seem to go over too well. I don't remember any of the details, I just have a vague memory of his last posts not going over well and him getting a little frustrated by the state of things at that time.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:04 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Keep em closed, Craigslist deer meat, pieces of Mems,
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 am
Brynjar

Official "Who Farted?" Thread

AdamBomb wrote:
Who farted?
Was it Bo Jackson?
Bo knows, so he won't be askin'.

Who farted?
Was it Cap'n Crunch?
Those Crunchberries do pack some punch.

Who farted?
Was it Kanye or Weezy?
The toot was autotuned, product was cheesy.

Who farted?
Was it Anderson Cooper?
Blaow! Umm...Paging Dr. Gupta

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47146&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 am
xGasPricesx

anomaly wrote:
pieces of Mems,

Oh, the drama. Does anyone remember if she was banned or just stopped posting?
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Zing Kong battles.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

xGasPricesx wrote:
anomaly wrote:
pieces of Mems,

Banned. Like almost everyone else. haha
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 pm
xGasPricesx

Sage Francis wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:
anomaly wrote:
pieces of Mems,

Banned. Like almost everyone else. haha

Yeah, I thought as much, her posts were getting really out of hand towards the end and it started turning things into a circus, which was fun at first until the initial novelty wore off. That's another thing I've liked about this forum though, the heavy handed moderation, I know some people disagree with it but especially after spending enough time in various default subreddit comment sections, I realized how fast things can spin out of control when people are free to post whatever anonymously with no moderating.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm
FranktheP

I can't pick just one but the one when anonjondoe got banned and the mutlitple times posters (including me) used to get so pissed off at Icarus. Plus the whole MMMC battles. And everything ever typed by Trav.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:18 pm
Mark in Minnesota

If we ask the question "what do you remember most about this place?" and the community answer is nothing more than re-airing of old dirty laundry episodes, it's a probably sign that the forum itself has fully run its course.

Speaking generally: I miss when Jared Paul, B. Dolan and others still used this place as a discussion area for activism topics. I learned a lot about net neutrality principles by taking on the role of skeptic for the Net Neutrality calls to action here. I also feel like I learned a ton from icarus502, Dan Shay, and a few others. I've really enjoyed the conversations I've had about video games, especially with breakreep, Captiv8, and Neuro. (347 pages and this isn't even the only thread on the subject!) I also definitely miss being a lurker/bystander in direct conversations between Sage and other musicians I liked (Slug, Mac Lethal, Joey Beats, Sole, Alias, others)--although I don't miss the times that the fact that two vaguely famous people were talking turned otherwise interesting threads into witheringly long flame wars.

Speaking specifically: I had more fun than I should have flaming Joshua Kane in the style of an INFOCOM text adventure. I started out feeling like I had a lot to learn from him and when he started going aggressively off the rails it was just as fun to watch as it was sad.

But the man said to pick one, so I'll pick one.

I mostly remember the "Dos Noun retirement" thread because I posted in it on the first page but going back through it the thing that's breathtaking to me is how many actual serious musicians posted there. Not to make silly half-committed remarks, but forming an opinion on something and sharing it with one another in a place where other people could see it. They didn't know better yet. The only place I ever see that kind of honesty-at-length from public figures any more is podcasts, and those are (by design!) closed circuits. Lots of these people have Facebook pages, do Reddit AMAs, and various other places where they can and do write at length on topics, but for the most part there just isn't anywhere on the Internet where I can see these people talking to each other at length, and where random strangers get to chime in when they feel like they have something to add. Often it's a toxic combination; the Hall of Fame board here is full of threads that collapsed under the weight of too many people trying to get their favorite rappers to start flaming each other. (File under: Self fighteous.) Sometimes, though, it actually somehow worked out for a few minutes. I got to read about things that I cared about and could never have seen play out anywhere else--and maybe even contribute something to the discussion.

It's this feeling of having been in a particular place at a particular time, and knowing that there are good reasons why those conditions might never arise again.

I still check this message board almost every day because I hope I'm wrong.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:37 pm
xGasPricesx

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
But the man said to pick one, so I'll pick one.

Poor phrasing on my part, I'm totally fine with people picking several, and I'm also fine with people picking broad topics that spanned many threads, as most people have been doing here so far. One topic in particular that comes to my mind is transsexualism, which is something I hadn't really been exposed to in my own life before I found this forum, nor was it something I ever really gave much thought to. After reading several of the threads on here about it though, and hearing from people like futuristxen, I came to have a fairly good understanding of it and it's something that I now find myself trying to explain to other people who don't understand it.

In terms of people mainly remembering the flame wars and what not, which I think I may have partially set the tone for by my first example being the flame war between SFF, UGHH and Necro, but that also could well be a sign that the forum has run it's course, but I think that kind of stuff jumps out in ones memory faster no matter what the circumstances. Petty drama like that just gets caught in your brain in a strange way and is much easier to recall than really in-depth sociopolitical or philosophical discussions this forum once did so well too. The "real" discussions though were always my favorite, as I discussed in my first paragraph of my initial post here, I learned so much from them and it opened my mind to so many different ideas and ways of thinking. I miss those kinds of discussions a lot, but things have changed so much I'm not sure that we will see them on here again, certainly not with anywhere near the same frequency we used to.

All in all, I am really glad I found this place when I did, I feel like I came in right at the high-water mark, but still got to enjoy it for quite sometime before it became the relative ghost town it is today. I still check this forum everyday too, and read pretty much every new post that is made, and occasionally a thread pops up that has remnants of the good ol' days, and that's a whole lot better than no more forum at all in my opinion.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next