Search
Register
Blues Recommendation?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Jack

Blues Recommendation?  Reply with quote  

I haven't ventured outside of rap too much, but anyone got some good raw blues they can recommend as a starting point? Raw baby
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:53 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

i have no idea how to embed videos here anymore

john lee hooker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqPvJ_mbRY

robert johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A

is clapton considered to 'modern' for this conversation???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxTWQD91b5c
Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:06 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

I can't believe he said 'raw' and you said 'clapton'. NO CLAPLEMORE. The others were good though.

Muddy Waters
Howling Wolf
Son House
Little Walter
Bo Diddley
Leadbelly

and if you dig the Leadbelly/ Robert Johnson type stuff you may wanna check out some stuff on the Smithsonian label, or collections like "Goodbye Babylon" for the mega old stuff.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 am
Mark in Minnesota

The most raw blues song I can think of is the version of Shake 'Em On Down that Lonesome Dan Kase recorded as part of the Crush Collision Trio. Uptempo, and forcing his voice past limits in a way that almost hurts to hear. I spent a long time looking online for a live performance where he does that but even when his guitar playing is similar his singing is much more restrained. Makes sense, singing that way for an entire career is a good way to end up with medical bills.

From John Lee Hooker my favorites are stuff he did late in his career like It Serves You Right to Suffer and Terraplane Blues, almost the opposite: extremely downtempo, a singing voice so practiced it's easy to picture him performing every night for a lifetime spent in more frequent danger of yawning than breaking a sweat. The kind of thing you listen to on the jukebox in a nearly-empty bar while you sip neat rye whiskey and watch the bartender doing inventory. Most of the songs I like by the people B. Dolan named feel like that for me too.

Early John Lee Hooker and Robert Johnson are both something different, more in common with people like Mississippi Fred McDowell, Lightnin' Hopkins, and Blind Lemon Jefferson, still a third type of blues entirely. Usually just one guy finger picking a guitar, voice near the very top of the male range, entirely of a style that English rock bands of the 1960s and 1970s found no use for. Whenever I think of that style, I reflect on how that's the kind of blues that NASA decided to shoot into space. Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground." Slide guitar, near-wordless vocal style we still refer to as "field music." Almost wordless, and among the farthest that any physical recording of human music has ever travelled, will ever travel. Outside the solar system completely now, recorded more than three generations ago by a blind black man who lived and worked and died destitute in the Jim Crow South. That pain, etched into gold and shot into the stars by Long Now thinkers who asked of the universe: if you remember us at all, remember this. Maybe that's truly raw.

But to me the way you develop knowledge of this music is to go see it performed live. Big stages, small bars, festivals, bus stations. Doesn't matter. Look a person in the eyes, hear them talk about who wrote the song and how they learned it, leave money in the tip jar or guitar case if there is one. Remember those names, buy those records, understand that this is a genre where the songs are passed back and forth and shaped and warped by time and experience. A song originally written and sung by a black man performing alone on stage to a strictly segregated black audience in some Deep South juke joint with essentially sexist lyrics can be just as authentic and definitive when performed for a 2000-seat concert hall by a world-famous white female vocalist backed by a six-piece R&B band with all the gender pronouns flipped. The songs started somewhere but they move through space and time and identity for long enough that eventually they just belong to themselves.

That's not something you download, or dig for in record stores. You go out and see it for yourself. Almost any sufficiently large city in the world almost any week of the year. Usually with no cover to get in.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:12 am
Saladhead

Clapton?! Cannot stand the guy or his so called 'blues'.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:33 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

haha i knew there would be backlash on the clapton comment
Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:14 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Otis Spann is the only answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Spann
Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:02 pm
Jack

Thanks gang!